Bulk create Sheet from template through smartsheet API

Options
Links
Links
edited 08/23/21 in API & Developers

Hello,

I've currently been facing an issue regarding the Smartsheet API, a quick breakdown of what i'm trying to do, I require to create 900+ sheets that will all have the same layout (a template is available for that)

After skimming through the API discovered the feature of creating sheets based on a template, problem is, they are no help/documentation on how to apply bulk process on it (was wondering what would be the best option to bulk it, grab the data from a .txt file and/or .Csv files for the names) since only variable (the name) requires constant name

And also how to prevent ratelimit from the API (From what i've read, we are allowed to 300 operation/min until ratelimit occurs)

Is there any ressource out there, that can talk about bulk processing actions on the smartsheet API ?

Thanks in Advance

Answers

• Garrett Henke
    Garrett Henke ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You would need to have a dictionary or list of all of the new sheet names you would want to create and you would also need to implement an exponential backoff or a sleep operation so that you do not exceed the rate limit.

If you are unfamiliar on how do do this I would start small and work out one step at a time while you trouble shoot.

• Alex Argumedo
    Alex Argumedo ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

The API (with Python) is more flexible than you think for the existing features, I created a script that pick the exiting projects based on the folders and some criteria (filters) under multiple workspaces, then ask you to select the template and finally ask you to type the name of a subfolder if you want to create in a subfolder inside the project, paces the creation to not exceed the restrictions, and create about 50 per min.

• Parker Oxford
    Parker Oxford ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Alex Argumedo

Are you willing to share the script used to make this? This would make this solution very handy in more ways than simply bulk editing the sheet.

( @ me in the replies or I'll lose your message! )

• Bluejuice
    Options

@Alex Argumedo , mind sharing some of your source code? I am trying to create a project file for multiple projects with pre-defined templates, sometimes as many as 200 per client. Your structure is exactly what i need.