New Attachments Preview Window?

Mike TV
Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Did they just change the attachments window yesterday and how it previews an attachment?

I cannot for the life of me find a way to quickly print attachments from SmartSheet like I used to do without downloading the file so that I can get a print option from whichever default program opens it up.

@Genevieve P.

Where am I supposed to get a print option from this new page that attachments are now bringing up without performing a full download of the file first?

Is there a way for me to go back to the previous way SmartSheet handled attachment previewing where I can again have a print option? Have I selected some view by mistake that I can undo?

Best Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Tech Support says this is a new feature just rolled out yesterday.

It wasn't part of the Early Adopter program or I would have suggested they add a Print button which is missing from the preview window.

The tech support guy said he's receiving calls on this. I just cannot imagine the thinking of their programmers not to have a print button there that is easily accessible.

This is like the Data Shuttle drop downs not being automatically sorted alphabetically. These are features which it doesn't take a lot of thinking will be needed in the functionality they're building. Why aren't these very basic things being thought of before they're implemented?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Mike TV

This was a new release that came out this week, yes! Here's the Community Announcement on it.

It was released in two stages: the initial new preview window (as in your first image) with a fast-follow of adding in the "Open in a new Tab" selection (as in Jason's first response).

Jason's suggestion of opening it in a new window from the main panel is what I would recommend as well:

Note that you can also use keyboard shortcuts to open in a new tab: Ctrl+Click (Windows) or CMD+Click (Mac)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Kleerfyre
    Kleerfyre ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a way. You might just need to download it, then open it on your desktop then print it, but that is how I have always done it for attachments.

Jonathan Sanders, CSM

"Change is always scary because it is unknown, but facing the unknown is what makes us stronger."

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Previously, it used to open in a new window and there was a print option there. Now it opens over top the window and there is no print option. Only a download option which is immeasurably slower.

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/24/23

Hi @Mike TV ,

I notice under the vertical ellipsis option I can open the file in a New Tab and then print.

Is this the extra step you're talking about?

Also, I'm aware there are some multifunction printers that can receive an email with attachments and automatically print those attachments. I notice the fourth option under Preview within the vertical ellipsis in the Attachments window there is a 'Send file...' Could this work for you?

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jason Albrecht

Thanks for showing me that option. That's the window I'm used to my attachments always opening in. It has a print option.

Now, how do I get directly to this window again without that preview window that is useless and causing me 2 extra clicks to get where I used to be?

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it's an option in the Attachments window as well?

Does this help?

If not, it might be worth clicking on the 'loudhailer' icon and submitting feedback.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Tech Support says this is a new feature just rolled out yesterday.

It wasn't part of the Early Adopter program or I would have suggested they add a Print button which is missing from the preview window.

The tech support guy said he's receiving calls on this. I just cannot imagine the thinking of their programmers not to have a print button there that is easily accessible.

This is like the Data Shuttle drop downs not being automatically sorted alphabetically. These are features which it doesn't take a lot of thinking will be needed in the functionality they're building. Why aren't these very basic things being thought of before they're implemented?

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's still extra clicks. I'm sorry to be so picky. It's just that this is slowing my workflow down considerably.

One of the tasks I use SmartSheet for is label creation. So I'll select 10-20 rows and use the Document Builder to create labels for me. Once the attachments are added I used to just be able to one-click each of them, a new window pops up, I click print and then close the window, then I'd click the next paperclip and attachment and so on. Now I'm having to look for those 3 bullets to click them and then choose open in new window. Just those 2 little clicks are going to slow down the time it takes to open and print 20 attachments.

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So, another option might be an automation that emails you the attachments.

You could then right click the attachments in the email and choose the print option.

Would this work for you?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Mike TV

This was a new release that came out this week, yes! Here's the Community Announcement on it.

It was released in two stages: the initial new preview window (as in your first image) with a fast-follow of adding in the "Open in a new Tab" selection (as in Jason's first response).

Jason's suggestion of opening it in a new window from the main panel is what I would recommend as well:

Note that you can also use keyboard shortcuts to open in a new tab: Ctrl+Click (Windows) or CMD+Click (Mac)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• ygoldgrab
    ygoldgrab ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks so much for this keyboard shortcut to open in new tab (My initial new preview window throws an error when I try to open a PDF- I already submitted this issue to support earlier this morning)

However, this shortcut doesn't work for an attachments in a comment. I had to go back to the row and ctrl click on the attachment from the row to view it in a new tab

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Genevieve P.

CTRL-clicking the attachment works to open it in the window I'm used to using. That should be fast enough until they can add in a print button where it should be on the preview window. Can't believe they didn't add that.