Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

DynamicView - Filter include Current User

Would like the Filter in Dynamic view to have the option for (Current User).

2 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Hey @Stonelaw119

Good news! The "Restrict view by current user" feature in Dynamic View does just that. Select the contact column that you want to filter by and the user looking at Dynamic View will only see their rows:

Here's more information: Dynamic View: Create and manage views of your data

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Stonelaw119
    Stonelaw119 ✭✭✭

I do know about this option but I need the teams to be able to see all items and then have the ability to Filter for their own items when needed. The hope was to create a shared filter with (current user) so everyone wouldn't need to create their own personal Filter.

• Hey @Stonelaw119

Thanks for clarifying! Is there a reason why the source sheet or report (showing all rows) won't work in this scenario?

• Stonelaw119
    Stonelaw119 ✭✭✭

I do not want to grant access to the source sheet so I am using dynamic view for the larger teams to make updates on individual rows. One Dynamic view is using the source sheet and another Dynamic view is using a report for that is filtering rows for OPEN items.

The filter in DynamicView doesn't have the (current user) option to allow a shared filter for all to use. Currently, I would have to create filters for each person to use if they wanted to just see their own rows. Or they would need to create their own filters.

• Hi @Stonelaw119

Thank you again for providing more context, this really helps to understand how the request would benefit you in your process. I've moved the idea back into the Product Ideas section so if other members have the same use-case they can vote on this as well!

You're correct, you would either need to create another, separate Dynamic View to show the "current user" version or set up specific filters for each user to help them get to a personalized view.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Jen B.
    Jen B. ✭✭✭✭

You should be able to create and share a filter for "Current User" on the source sheet for your Dynamic View. As long as this filter is shared, it should display with the filters available in the DV. Set the Dynamic View to no restrictions and the current user can adjust the filters as needed. You should be able to create other, more targeted filters that use multiple criteria, including "Current User" (think Project Lead = "Current User" AND Status = "Open", to display only open items for the current user listed as Project Lead). Have you tried something like this?