Automated Message from Triggering User

Judith Campf
Judith Campf ✭✭✭✭
edited 05/29/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I set up several automations that result in an email being sent to a person after a form has been filled out by a particular user. That particular user should be the "triggering user" meaning when the email is sent, it should appear as though it comes from the person who filled out the form. Instead, though, the message looks like it comes from me since I'm the sheet admin.

Any thoughts on why this isn't working as expected?

Tags:

Answers

• Judith Campf
    Judith Campf ✭✭✭✭

Just to note, the trigger for the email is from one person filling out the form. Based on what I found in this table, the automation email should appear to be from the person who filled out the form, right?

The automation email isn't being triggered by multiple users, is not a reminder, and is not time-based.

• Hi Judith

I have a similar issue. I am the Sheet owner, who receives Reply to mails and calls about the auto sent e-mail, while it should go to the person triggering the initial e-mail...

Have not found the answer yet...

Did you?

• NickJonesLG
    NickJonesLG ✭✭✭

Any update on this ? Im too having a similar issue

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @NickJonesLG

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• NickJonesLG
    NickJonesLG ✭✭✭

Here's the automation

However the email received that the automation sends out always comes from " Nick Jones via Smartsheet" instead of "John Doe"

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭

So, this issue is that a publicly available form does not recognize the user entering the data, you can test this by adding a created by column to your sheet and filling out a form. The created by column will just say 'web-form' and I'm assuming that the automation just defaults to the sheet owner.

To resolve this you need to change your form settings to require Smartsheet login to access the form. This will then populate the created by column with the actual user credentials, and I assume (although I haven't tested it) the triggering user will populate as the form filler in the automation.

Can you report back to confirm this works. Thanks.

• It still doesn't work. The Created by shows the username who submitted the request but still the email is sent with my name because I am the owner of the sheet

• cmore04
    cmore04 ✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/26/24

Hi! I'm having similar issue. I am sending an update request to a team but need it to be "sent from triggering user" so the person it's being sent to can directly reply to the triggering user NOT the sheet owner. Any workarounds with this at all? I can not send an alert - it has to be an update request.

• I am also experiencing this issue. Seems to be a Smartsheet bug. My users are required to login to access and submit my form. However, email automations from "triggering user" always show to be from me.

• Martin_M
    Martin_M ✭✭✭✭

The "triggering user" needs to have these fields filled out in the Profile Settings for the "Sent from Triggering User" option to work.

My guess is, that the person also would need to be registered and have a valid email address entered for any automation to properly function.