Restricting views in Dynamic View by filter

Options

I have a smartsheet that contains task records for for different departments. I would like to create a Dynamic View for each department that everyone in the specific department can see that only contains the records associated with that department. I can create the filter without a problem, but when I try to Restrict view by sheet filter, it only gives me the option of "No filter-all rows visible to everyone shared." I have figured out how to share with the appropriate groups the based on the email domain, but I can't seem to figure out how to lock the filter to keep them from seeing data for other departments.

I have contact fields, but they are only associated with the individual that the task is assigned to and I would like for everyone in the department to see all of the department's tasks to increase transparency and collaboration.

Best Answer

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

After you create a filter on the View's source sheet, it takes a couple minutes for Dynamic View to notice the change. You'll need to exit the Dynamic View editing page and go back in to edit a few minutes later. Also double check that the sheet where you created the filters is really the Dynamic View's source sheet. I can't think why else you wouldn't see the sheet filters there, so you may want to contact support if you still can't see the filters after double-checking & waiting.

Answers

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

After you create a filter on the View's source sheet, it takes a couple minutes for Dynamic View to notice the change. You'll need to exit the Dynamic View editing page and go back in to edit a few minutes later. Also double check that the sheet where you created the filters is really the Dynamic View's source sheet. I can't think why else you wouldn't see the sheet filters there, so you may want to contact support if you still can't see the filters after double-checking & waiting.

• Constance.Brock
    Options

That worked, thank you so much!!

• 22Wordsmith
    22Wordsmith ✭✭✭
    Options

@Courtney S. I need to build something similar and would appreciate some guidance as to the steps this user managed. I have several departments that should only see their own entries. How do I use email domains to restrict their view, please?

Having done that, do I need to create a distinct DV with source sheet filter for each Department in order to limit the information displayed?

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @22Wordsmith I think Smartsheet does a good walkthrough, it's how I learned - give these a read:

Filter basics | Smartsheet Learning Center

Create a filter to show or hide data | Smartsheet Learning Center

Dynamic View | Smartsheet Learning Center

If you have a Contact List column in the source sheet, which you use for the "current user" filter option in the Dynamic View, then you don't need any other filters if the Dynamic View should show the user all the rows they are assigned to. You'll to make a sheet filter to also use in the Dynamic View if you want the user to only see a subset of the rows they are assigned to. Play around with settings until you get what you want!