Check box formula

Options
jamies
jamies
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Can anyone help with a formula so that if the box is checked, it will automatically do the calculation [sample size]1*1.07? 

Thank you! 

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jamie,

Formula placed in "Total" column

=IF(IF1 = 1; [Sample Size]1 * 1,07)

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jamie,

Andrée's answer for newbies:

This is looking at a column named [IF] on row 1, which is assumed to the be same row as the rest of the formula. [IF] can be either a Checkbox type column or a Text/Number type column, because a checked box has a value of 1.

Both [Same Size] and [sample size] will work because Smartsheet's column names are case insensitive in formulas. This is likely due to wanting to avoid two columns with names different only be case (which has a VERY small use case and is easily worked around)

Andrée is European, so ...

The formula is using a semi-colon. US (and a few other countries) user's will use a comma there.

The number in Andrée's answer has a comma in it. This is NOT 1 comma 07 but  the same as 1 point 07 for US (and a few other countries) users. 

For more advanced users:

If all references are on the same line as the formula, try to get into the habit of using the@row reference.

=IF(IF@row = 1; [Sample Size]@row * 1,07)

This will make your formulas even easier to move around.

If the [IF] column is a Checkbox type, then this formula works as well, as the IF statement is looking for a Boolean value, which the Checkbox returns true when checked.

=IF(IF@row; [Sample Size]@row * 1,07)

Craig

ps Sorry for the length, I started with only the comma issue, and it kind of got away from me.