Multiple Time Based Alert Workflows

Options
RobFahey27
RobFahey27 ✭✭✭
edited 01/25/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I have two alert workflows:

1) Send an alert to contacts in a cell on M/W/F at 11:00a.m.

2) Send an alert to contacts in a cell on T/Th at 5:00p.m.

My question is: In this scenario, does the workflow only look at the day it is scheduled to run?

i.e., Workflow runs at 11:00a.m. on Monday, looking at all changes made prior to 11:00a.m for that Monday.

What happens to changes made at 3:00p.m. on Monday?

My concern is that the workflows is going to run on Tuesday, looking at changes made prior to 5:00p.m. on Tuesday, and also changes made after 11:00a.m. on Monday

I don't think this to be the case, but was hoping someone could give a clear answer

Thank you! 😀

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 01/26/23
    Options

Hi @RobFahey27

Since you're using a Time and Date as the trigger, this means your workflows will look through the entire sheet at that date/time and include all rows that match the criteria you have set in the workflow.

See: Create a Time-Based Automated Workflow

Let's pretend I'm one of the "Owners" listed in your sheet. If you have no condition blocks, then each day at the specified time for that day, I would receive an email with the total list of all items I own in that sheet.

If I'm added as an Owner to new rows after 11am on Monday, then yes, that new row will now be included on Tuesday's workflow, and Wednesdays, and Thursdays, and so on.

However condition blocks can create filters in your flow, if you only want specific rows!

Another alternative would be to ensure the trigger is when rows are added or changed instead, then set up a consistent time for that type of workflow (e.g. "Daily").

Let me know if you need additional help building your workflows - if so, it would be useful to see screen captures of the actual flow/build including condition blocks, and a detailed description of what you want people to see each day.

Thanks!

Genevieve