Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Archive workspaces

Sameer Karkhanis
Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Add feature to archive a workspace (without breaking any references within or outside the workspace) so that it is either moved under Archived folder or through appropriate implementation is hidden from other workspaces (but can be accessed if needed)

Tags:
53 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

We're aware of this problem and understand that Smartsheet can be overwhelming when there are too many workspaces. We are considering how to solve this in a couple of ways and archiving is one of those possible solutions. It would be helpful to know more about your expectations for an Archived workspace. For instance, should archiving update sharing or automation workflows? Thank you for your feedback!

Comments

• Tina Rustvold
    Tina Rustvold ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a workspace that was created to transfer ownership of some sheets. However, because of our plan structure I cannot transfer the sheets to the new owner, only keep them as and Admin. I would like to hide that workspace from the rest of my team just to keep things tidy. Is there a way to do this that won't impact the Admin from another team who still needs access to those sheets?

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/10/24

As far as I know there is no feature/functionality to do so. In fact, we would also love to have a feature to archive/hide completed project workspaces.

• Tina Rustvold
    Tina Rustvold ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/10/24 Answer ✓

Ha! Well then, next step will be to submit that as a product feedback form! Thanks so much!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What would be the purpose of archiving a workspace, or are you just wanting to be able to create almost like a group of workspaces that can be collapsed from view?

• BBLiss
    BBLiss ✭✭

Each of our projects has a workspace set up for it in Smartsheet with a core set of sheets and dashboards and also a sub folder containing the reports that feed into the project dashboard. When a project is completed we would like to be able to move the project workspace into an already created 'Archived Projects' workspace so that it then becomes folder within the 'Archived Projects' workspace with sub-folders within it and allowing the individuals that were shared to the original project workspace to retain access to it in it's changed status as a folder. The workaround provided by Smartsheet support is to create a folder within the project workspace, move everything in the workspace into the folder and then click and drag that folder into the 'Archived Projects' workspace. This will be time consuming due to the number of projects we have that are completed / due to complete soon and with the large number of items within the project workspaces. This ideas request is to be able to move a workspace into a workspace. Thank you!

• As the number of workspaces grows, there is a need to hide the ones that are not frequently accessed so that the list remains manageable. These workspaces are active so archiving is not relevant. As per MS Teams, you can choose to hide Teams that you are a member of which collapses them into a Hidden Teams section at the end of the Teams list. With one click they can be unhidden. The same functionality for workspaces within Smartsheet would be very helpful, especially so for owners of SCC blueprints.

• anirudhs17
    anirudhs17 ✭✭
    edited 07/10/24

I agree, Nicole. Currently, I use the favorites bar to organize the workspaces that I most frequently use, but that defeats the purpose of separating individual sheets from the workspaces to access in favorites. I would prefer the view in the browse tab to be more easily sortable so I can access active projects without having to scroll so much.

• Joe Goetschel
    Joe Goetschel ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/10/24

Yep this is needed, with about 500 clients, with our SSC solution. Each client gets a new workspace. It is getting harder to get to my information faster. I’m the owner of the solution so I get everything. Need help hiding!! Thanks!

Joe Goetschel | Smartsheet Director | SCS CLOUD - Smartsheet Partner

joe.goetschel@scscloud.com

Save My Contact

"The only real limitation of Smartsheet is the level of effort required to achieve your goal."

• It would be better if there is a way to archive a Smartsheet workspace after a project has been done, without breaking the links and workflows in the reports.

• Paula Grahame
    Paula Grahame ✭✭✭✭

Would love to see an enhancement that incorporates some level of archiving. I am noticing that as our company continues to grow within the platform and is using it for more and more efficiencies every single day - Something that comes along with that is more and more workspaces / sheets / reports shared to us all (on top of the already numerous ones we are using.)

Those of us in the thick of the Smartsheet here have such a large cascade of Workspaces that even searching is becoming daunting due to the nature of our work and keeping things cohesive - Similar named sheets - things being rebuilt / saved as new annually (I.E. Each item has a subfolder for 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024... and will continue to expand each year).

Would love to see a feature that would allow a user to toggle a sheet, folder or workspace to "archive mode" - keeping the items live and always accessible to them if necessary, but when in archive mode - the item does not populate as an option in the Data Mesh or formula range selection panes. (If I'm working on a 2024 item - I don't need to see all of those numerous historical items populate when meshing or inserting formula ranges.)

• was a resolution ever found? I'm currently trying to create the Automated WF in Control Center to archive projects.

As expressed above, each project has its own workspace, the sheets, dashboards and reports are in a folder within that workspace. We've created another workspace called "Archived Projects". The WF seems to run successfully, it locks the rows, disables the cell links, removes the sharing, but it is not moving the project folder to the Archive Project workspace. We are getting the error code 1006 Failed to move folder to archive workspace, but nothing else. No clear reason why.

• Julieann
    Julieann ✭✭
    edited 07/10/24

I would also love this feature if possible - it can get confusing when creating dashboards having everything visible when updating a report / sheet. If we could have it default initial show the workspace you previously searched with the option to expand.

Another update would be to hide the report header on a dashboard - this would be cleaner and look better for reporting purposes

• Im seeing the same problem. Archiving has worked in the past, including moving the project folder to a different workspace. Running it now it all works ok except for moving the project folder - getting error 1006.

• It would be very helpful for ease of use, and for organizing Workspaces if there was an option to either 'Hide' or 'Archive' Worksheets/Workspaces that are no longer needed/in use. My list has grown so long, that it is difficult to find the correct project Workspace. The Archive option would be my recommendation.

• CharlesZ
    CharlesZ
    edited 07/10/24

I too would like to hide or archive workspaces.