Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Expand All/Collapse All Default View Setting

Options

Would like to have the option to set the default view for a sheet with many parent/children rows, so that each time the sheet opened that default view would be shown. In other words, I'd love to have the default view at each opening of the sheet to show only the parent rows without having to choose collapse each time.

41 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

We see the value in this suggestion. While it's not a part of our current plan, improving the hierarchy experience is something we are thinking about. If we believe we can make this idea a reality, we'll let you know by updating the status here.

Comments

• Deanna Lemke
    Deanna Lemke ✭✭
    edited 04/23/24
    Options

We work with very extensive project sheets that have many parent and children rows. When I'm building and assigning tasks, it's really helpful to collapse all of the sections that I am not currently working on. Likewise, it's helpful for team members to do that as well, to avoid line overload and be able to focus on the information at hand. However, every time I save, or refresh, all the sections expand and I have to re-collapse everything I am not working on. I wish that the collapsed sections would save, at least for the specific user.

• Loren Wertz
    Options

Is there a reason it's been over a year and we don't have a reply from a Smartsheet developer or other representative? It's a frequent request from the community to have a default setting for collapsed/expanded rows on sheets. I'd love to know that someone it paying attention to the request, even if it's just to provide a reason why the answer is no.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Loren Wertz

All comments are gathered and reviewed by the Product Team but only the top-voted posts receive a status update once a month. If this is an important request to you, please feel free to share it to others to receive their feedback and votes as well!

In the meantime, you can set default collapsed rows in a Report, see: Group data to organize results in report builder

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Loren Wertz
    Options

Thank you Genevieve. I truly appreciate the response. Something to consider - I received your response to my post in less than a day. From a customer perspective, wouldn't it be great for the OP to have the same experience? And for every other customer visiting this thread to know that Smartsheet had already engaged?

Also, there are at least three separate posts requesting this feature, I sure hope Smartsheet is aggregating those. Here are the others from a quick search.

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/45441/collapse-and-expand

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/77920/collapse-expand-rows

Informally, whenever I talk with other Smartsheet users, this is the first "missing" feature that comes up. It drives everyone crazy!

I frequently see the responses to this request that point the user to reports. That can work sometimes, but reports don't work or aren't relevant for many use cases. A simple project plan broken into stages doesn't need the added work of a report that summarizes what we've already got. It just needs...default view!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @Loren Wertz

To clarify, this is an Idea type of post that can be voted (with the yellow bar at the top) located in the Product Feedback and Ideas section of the Community. Those other links are older discussions from before the ideation space existed, so no, they aren't combined onto this thread or reviewed by the Product team. In 2019 we only had the Feedback Form to submit feature enhancement requests, but now we have this new space, too!

This type of post (Idea with Votes) is only directly responded to once it reaches a high vote-count, although I do try and step in to help answer questions or clarify if I catch a lower-voted idea that already exists. 🙂

This FAQ post may help answer some of your questions around Ideas: FAQs and Guidelines for posting Product Feedback Ideas

Thank you for posting about your specific use-case and situation. All comments in this area of the Community are still gathered and reviewed, whether or not there's a public response, so the more detail you can provide the better!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• CJU
    CJU ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dear Smartsheet

I am also looking for this functionality. I have multiple sheets with multiple parent / child relationship tasks. I would like the option to always open the sheet so the tasks are collapsed. Its just much easier to view.

• Jackychu
    Options

also need this function.

• Jim Glen
    Options

I absolutely agree with this request. Or at the very least I need a "collapse all" option for the mobile platform. The more we utilize smartsheets the larger the pages are getting & we are struggling with having to collapse everything just to get to a specific job.

• dnavarrete
    dnavarrete ✭✭✭
    edited 04/23/24
    Options

Hi,

Is there a solution for this available now?

• Deanna Lemke
    Deanna Lemke ✭✭
    edited 04/23/24
    Options

It does work, for the most part. HOWEVER, not if a filter is applied. In that case, a refresh/save re-applies the filter and re-opens all of the rows that meet the filter criteria—expanding the children.