Use automated workflow to send an email to an external contact

Hi,

I had a look through the existing questions, and couldnt find an answer to this, so apologies if it out there somewhere!

we have a sheet where we log enquiries we receive as and when we receive them. In the log we capture the date the enquiry was answered, along with details of the enquiry and the response we provided. We also have a date for follow up to see if we can provide any further assistance, and to ask for feedback about our services.

At the moment we have an alert set up so that when the followup date is reached we get an email saying to follow up.

I was wondering if it would be possible to automate this process, so that the smartsheet automatically sends a preset email once the follow up date is reached, or a fixed amount of time after the date the advice was given. We do not want the email to give access to the sheet, it is literally a 'you contacted us on x date and we gave you some advice on x subject, can we help you with anything else, and would you please complete this short survey to tell us how we did'.

Is this possible? I can't see a way to do it but feel like I may be missing something.

Thanks,

Barbara

Answers

• ro.fei
    ro.fei ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Barbara K

I think the following template may help you here:

I set up an example for you to look at:

I have it set to trigger when the date changes, although you may have a better trigger in mind. Pay attention to the conditions you have set. I have mine set up to restrict to when the date is in the next 7 days & the status is not completed. As long as you have the external contact in a contact column, you can set it to send them an email automatically. Then you can customize the message & change the settings to include the message only.

I recommend trying this out with your own email first to make sure it works the way you want it to. You may also what to change the trigger as I mentioned, as well as how often it runs. Again, testing will make sure you get the results you want.

Hope this helps! 😊

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!