Data Mesh Target sheet re-creates rows that have been deleted on target and source

Options

Deleted 5 rows from the Source sheet. Then deleted those same rows from the target sheet. The same 5 rows keep getting re-populated on the target sheet, but only the lookup values. I assume it is because I have "copy and add data" as the data mapping format in the Data Mesh settings, but that is the correct setting for my sheets.

How do I get these rows to stop re-populating on the target sheet? where are they even coming from?

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/22/23
    Options

Are you using column formulas? It sounds like you need to remove rows that don't exist in the source sheet instead of just copying and adding.

Is it possible you have some blank rows in the source? When you say you are deleting rows from the source and target sheets, exactly what steps are you following to delete those rows?

• Nate Ensor
    Nate Ensor ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No blank rows in source sheet.

Rows in source sheet were deleted at some point weeks ago. Cannot be found before or after appearing on the target.

So the steps begin and end with deleting the unwanted rows from the target sheet. As they no longer exist on the Source, this should be all that is necessary. Save, refresh, run the data mesh. nothing happens. Then about 5 minutes later when the Data Mesh runs by itself, Ttese rows show up again with the lookup value only. All the connected columns are blank as there is no info on the source sheet.

• Nate Ensor
    Nate Ensor ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Solved. In checking the cell history of the lookup value, it was the name of another admin that had their own config running from a second source sheet. ugh. Is there a way to tell which configs are connected to a sheet?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

That was going to be my next question was whether or not there was someone else adding data somewhere.

The only way is to go through each Config unfortunately, and that is assuming you have access to every config. It would be great if there was some type of report that could be pulled by an Admin from the add-on that shows a list of connected items.

• Erica L.
    Erica L. ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was told that once rows from a source sheet make their way to the Data Mesh sheet, there is no way to remove them. Even though the rows may no longer exist in the source sheet, you can't prevent them from showing up again in the Data Mesh sheet. My source sheet (report) is pulling from multiple projects so it's not feasible to know what rows were deleted by project managers. I have no way of knowing what they deleted in their sheets feeding to the report, that then feeds to the Data Mesh sheet. Just want to be able to report accurately that rows in the Data Mesh sheet are active/live and not old rows that were deleted. Anyone have thoughts on this? Hopefully Smartsheet can develop a way to prevent this from happening in the future.