Bridge-Workflows max

Options

Hi ,

I am using smartsheet bridge to be trigger to the smartsheet changes, but I have about 300 rows make trigger the workflow same time. Is there a limit for number of trigger?

Tags:

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Amy Gan

There is no max; the triggers get queued and processed to run the workflows.

If you don’t want all 300 rows triggering, you may want to consider using the trigger for when Column Values are Changed.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Amy Gan

I think your design looks good! This structure should help you successfully troubleshoot if there are any errors in the future as you'll see what path it's gone through.

You are right though, with 300 rows at one time it may take some time to parse through each row.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Amy Gan

There is no max; the triggers get queued and processed to run the workflows.

If you don’t want all 300 rows triggering, you may want to consider using the trigger for when Column Values are Changed.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Amy Gan
    Amy Gan ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you for the response! I am working on a workflow to trigger the rows when columns values are changed. My stakeholder may trigger 300+ rows(a specific column in row) the same time. So the workflows would stay in queue and it takes some time to finish.

In addition, is there a way that I can make the trigger be like( If the column values changed to XXX?) in order not triggering too many workflows?

Thank you

Amy

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Amy Gan

Yes, exactly - those rows will be in a queue and the workflow will take the time to go through each of them.

In this scenario, I would personally use a Conditional MATCH Junction to check the value that was changed and either take an action or not, based on that value:

Although it will still trigger the workflow, all the values that you don't care about will quickly end in the first junction match, allowing the next row to be evaluated quicker.

An alternative would be to set up a helper column in the sheet with a formula. That formula would create a change if the correct value was selected in your other column:

=IF([Column with trigger]@row = "Value", "Trigger Bridge")

Then you could use this column as the one that you're watching for a change in...so if it's not the correct value, nothing will happen. Note that this doesn't work when a row is added as then there's a change in the cell (it's created)... but it would prevent the workflow from running if the cell is changed to another value. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Amy Gan
    Amy Gan ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve,

Thanks for the answer, I did use the conditional match for my workflow, but I created a parent workflow and 10 child workflow to accomplish this goal. My column contained multiple choices, and I need the workflow trigger which a specific value is selected.

Ex, workflow A trigger if A selected, workflow B trigger if B selected, workflow A and B trigger if both values.

But when I create the parent workflow, I use contain(the column may contain multiple values) but I can only have success/failure 2 state instead of multiple state(ex, if column value contains A, if column value contains B, if column value contains C) so that I can make my parent workflow easier:

Do you know if there is a easier way to accomplish this goal? If not, I would continue my current design. Thanks!

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Amy Gan

I think your design looks good! This structure should help you successfully troubleshoot if there are any errors in the future as you'll see what path it's gone through.

You are right though, with 300 rows at one time it may take some time to parse through each row.

• Monique Louw
    Options

Hi @Amy Gan. Well done on this workflow. I was hoping you can maybe assist in guiding me on how you managed to create these parent workflows. I am still a bit new with Smartsheet Bridge, and still stuck a bit with complex workflows.

How did you manage do individually run these junctions. I start with the first junction, with my two states wether it is successful or not successful. How do I get it to run the second the second junction wether the first one was successful or not successful.

Regards,
    Monique

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Monique Louw

Are you looking for the way to connect pathways? As in, to have two states link into the same later-state?

To do so, click on the state that's not connected, then hold down Option on a Mac (or Alt on a PC) and click on the next action item. This will connect multiple paths to the same end goal. 🙂

Before:

After:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Monique Louw
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

You are just the best!!! Thank you so much for the prompt response!

It worked!!