Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Automatically Sort Rows in Sheets

Options

Comments

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Serena Batten, I've got a live instance where automatically sorting a sheet would be of meaningful value. Your booking link is stale. If you're still open to input on this could you send me a fresh link to schedule a brief session with you.

• Serena Batten
    Options

@Cleversheet thanks for your offer to share your use case. At this time, I've collected a lot of feedback about auto-sorting and am not scheduling any new sessions. I will reach out if that changes.

• Serena Batten
    Options

@mjacques thanks for your offer to share your use case. At this time, I've collected a lot of feedback about auto-sorting and am not scheduling any new sessions. I will reach out if that changes.

• Iseward
    Iseward ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Omg yes please. This would be wonderful!

• cvvasey
    cvvasey ✭✭✭
    Options

I'd love to be able to sort AFTER a filter is applied - automatically and manually. It's very annoying to have to disengage the filter before sorting and then redo the filter after sorting.

Standardize! Templatize! Automate!

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This feature is desperately needed. As so many others, we have a large amount of sheets, and for me to have to manually go in and sort EACH ONE is not a time saver.

Yes, reports have this feature built in, but it is also desperately needed at the sheet level as we have various criteria that those sheets need to be viewed by consistently.

@marc4 - I can't figure out your API response. It shows a hyperlink but it gives an errror. Would love to hear more, though if it's a paid third party it's a no-go for our use.

Blessings,

Loann

• marc4
    marc4 ✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/06/23
    Options

@:Loann. Yes the Smartsheet API is a REST which in a simple manner is a bunch of urls that either take data in the url itself of have the data sent along with the url or both.

To sort a sheet

curl --silent "https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/sheets/$Sheet_ID/sort" -H "Authorization: Bearer $token" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X POST -d '{"sortCriteria": [{"columnId": $Column_ID, "direction": "ASCENDING"}]}

this uses the curl program (available for linux, mac and windows) The url includes the sheet ID and the "/sort" is defining the API call to sort the sheet. in the uploaded data we are sending the sort criteria which is a column id and the sort order (ASCENDING)

I have this command in a file that gets run every 15 minutes to sort the sheet.

• Jeremiah
    Options

An autosort function on sheets would be extremely useful. My team uses certain sheets constantly throughout the day, every day of the work week. Being able to trust that the rows are sorted ensures that we don't have to scan the entire document, and can help us avoid compliance issues. I'd be happy to talk about it in more detail.

• Julian Sindall
    Options

Quite often I'd like to be able to sort my data alphabetically or numerically, but don't really want to have to create a separate report to do that. I could probably half the number of reports I make if you added this feature.

• Andrea Zenner
    Andrea Zenner ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm just adding to this thread. I too have been waiting for the option to save a sort order for a sheet. We have people filtering sheets to just their content, then adding rows. The new rows go to the bottom of the sheet which may (or most times is not) the correct order in the unfiltered sheet. Having to resort the sheet after each addition is not ideal. Users forget to do this then can't find the information they just entered causing frustration.

Alternatively you could add a feature to add rows to a sheet via a report. Either will solve our use case.

Andrea Zenner

Program Manager | Infrastructure & Operations

Apogee Enterprises

EAP | Mobilizer | Core Product Certified | Superstar

azenner@apog.com

• slarijani
    Options

I would love to see an option in the Automations to trigger a Sort on changes or row adds.

• kfarrell
    kfarrell ✭✭✭
    Options

I'd be willing to meet to give you more feedback. We have a big team interacting in a sheet and it's not sustainable having to go in and sort it manually multiple time daily.

Project Coordinator

• cvvasey
    cvvasey ✭✭✭
    Options

Adrian - that works if you're not trying to keep the sheet organized for the users who are in it and updating it. I need persistent sort and saved sorts and sorts to happen after filters because I could be in the same sheet as up to 8 other people add new projects or updating existing project information and I need certain things to stay in order as different options in the individual projects are changed. As mentioned by a few others here.

• cvvasey
    cvvasey ✭✭✭
    Options

I'd also love to be able to search within a sheet w/out having to filter or sort. Just a plain old search.

• TinaPod
    TinaPod ✭✭
    Options

Heck Yes. i want it toooooo!