Using a form to take in a number and give a different value back.

I am trying to make some sort of form or sheet that takes in a size of material that needs to be cut and to export which size it should be cut out of. I know how I would do it in a sheet, but i'm not sure how I would go about getting a form of some form set up. Or is the only option to have the user input the data into the sheet?

Answers

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tyler,

I'm going to make some high level assumptions with my answer, so please accept my apologies if I've missed the mark.

I'm going to assume that the "export size" would come from a set list of sizes (e.g. 2x4, 3x3, 5x6 etc.). These set sizes could then be in an options column in the sheet.

The form would still ask the user the size of material that needs to be cut (e.g. 2x3). You would then use 'form logic' to have the user select the appropriate option from your set sizes (in this case they would choose either 2x4 or 3x3).

Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work

• Tyler N
    Tyler N ✭✭

Hello Jason,

I got the data to export correctly in a sheet. The value that they need is input and the value that they cut from is output. My main concern was if it is possible to get the data input and output into a form instead of the user needing to access the full set of data in the sheet.

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Tyler,

I'm sorry. I'm sincerely misunderstanding the context of the problem in order to make sense of the request. May I ask, for example, when you say "I got the data to export correctly in a sheet," are you saying that after the input value was entered into a cell (whether by a form or entered directly into the sheet) that, through a set of calculations and formulas, a different cell in the sheet displayed the "value that they cut from"? Or, taking this example further, have you set up an automated workflow to send an email to someone who needs the information, or are you 'exporting' to another sheet or report or dashboard? Is the "they" who inputs the data the same "they" who needs the output, or are "they" two different people? If "they" is the same person, are you trying to work out if forms has the capacity to immediately display the output value once the input value is entered?

I also apologise for potentially assuming you have already checked out how to use conditional logic to streamline form submissions to determine if this is a suitable function or not. I'll revert to others in the community who may have a better handle on the request.

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work

• Tyler N
    Tyler N ✭✭

Hello Jason,

" If "they" is the same person, are you trying to work out if forms has the capacity to immediately display the output value once the input value is entered?"

This is exactly what I am hoping forms is capable of doing.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Tyler N

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Jason's excellent advice/answer.

You could have the form load a Dashboard showing the results after submission. (the form could also be embedded in the Dashboard.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.