Resource Management Allocation Percentage

Options
ChristinaL
edited 07/05/23 in Resource Management

We are using Resource Management for capacity planning of stations rather than people. The way that the allocation is set up as a % of day, or hours per day does not align with the way we should schedule. Ex. 8 hour day, task requires 12 hours. Schedule in resource management would show this as 75% over two days or 6 hours a day, when in our situation it would be 8 hours the first day (100%) and then 4 hours the next day (50%). Is there a way to represent this in the schedule view of Resource management?

Answers

• HeatherD.
    HeatherD. Moderator
    Options

Hi @ChristinaL,

The best way to handle this if you have days that have a different % allocation is to create separate tasks for each day. As shown in the screenshot below, I'm using a project in Smartsheet that integrates with the Resource Management Panel; however, if you use Resource Management as a standalone, it will be the same basic idea.

As you can see above, I have broken Event D down to Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, and Day 4, because there are separate allocations for each day. You can see in the screenshot below that, because the tasks are broken down day by day, the capacity is shown accurately for each day.

Theoretically, you won't have to break down all events into single-day tasks; you'll only need to do this for events that have varying allocations throughout their duration. I hope this helps!

Best,

Heather

• meb_0101
    meb_0101 ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @HeatherD. ,

Is this still the only solution? I'm currently working on linking a project sheet (with multiple projects on it) to RM. The sheet already has allocation % columns for each month of 2022-2024 (the % usually varies for each person for each project throughout the life of the project).

Is my only option to either have a row for each month for each project for each person assigned (some projects last 6+ months), or using the split feature within RM? I would love to see an option in future to select multiple allocation % columns to capture the allocation changes that may occur monthly within the same project.

Thank you!

MB

• HeatherD.
    HeatherD. Moderator
    Options

Hi @meb_0101!

You are correct - the only way you can currently do this is by breaking the tasks down into multiple rows so that they show as separate Work Items in RM.

When you have a chance, please submit your idea to our Product team via the Ideas & Feature Requests page. It's incredibly valuable for them to hear exactly what customers are looking for regarding product enhancements.

Best,

Heather

• Simone Scarpone
    Options

I've the same problem.

I don't know if it can help but i've set the following workaround:

ALLOCATION column in smartsheet contains the formula "=IF(Duration@row >= 1; 1; Durata@row)"

in this way the only limit for DURATION column (in gantt) is that values must be expressed :

• in hours (if DURATION is less one day);
    • in days as integer multiple values;