Column Formulas not appearing on Gantt Chart

Hi everyone,

I have a column consisting of "expiration dates" and another set of dates called "extension dates" if an extension has been made. I have put the formula "=IF([Extension Approval Status]@row = "ENABLED", [Extension Date]@row)" in the "expiration date" column, If an extension has been made and has been approved, the "extension date" will replace the "expiration date".

However, when input the formula into a converted column formula, it gets rid of all previous expiration dates and does not let me pick the "expiration date" on the Gantt chart. It also does not allow new expiration dates to be recorded within the grid, when a new form has been submitted.

Is it this a bug or is there an explanation for this behaviour?

Is there any possibility for a solution.

Answers

• Joe Goetschel
    Joe Goetschel ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sahand!

Just to check, I am assuming the columns are all "Date" columns correct?

ALso have you verified all the settings in your "Project Settings"

Joe Goetschel | Smartsheet Director | SCS CLOUD - Smartsheet Partner

joe.goetschel@scscloud.com

Save My Contact

"The only real limitation of Smartsheet is the level of effort required to achieve your goal."

• Sahand
    Sahand ✭✭

Hi @Joe Goetschel

Thank you for the reply,

Yes both columns are dates, apart from the "Expiration Approval Status" which has a dropdown option to either accept, reject or be pending.

What sections in project settings are you referring to?

Many thanks,

Sahand

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness Overachievers

Hi @Sahand

Apologies but just based on the description you provided, If the formula in your expiration date column is a column formula, it wont allow you to manually amend / overtype without changing it to a cell formula.

Generally you need separate columns to contain whatever data / info you need referenced in formulas or pulled back to the column formula.

As below red column is a column formula and can only run the formula so you need to make amends in other columns so the formula can then pull through the info you want it to.

Formula in the master date column is

=IF([Extension Approval Status]@row = "ENABLED", [Extension date]@row, [Expiration date]@row)

Something to keep in mind when using column formulas, hope that helps

Apologies if this doesn't relate to your issue, it just seemed to by the description.

Thanks

Paul

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!