Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Dynamic View Comments notifications for user without access to source sheet

Options

Comments

• Claire Lou
    Options

We are also using dynamic view for multiple stakeholders and third party vendors. Agree with the comments above that the comment feature is redundant if comments cannot be made by those shared in the underlying sheet.

• curt0724
    curt0724 ✭✭✭
    Options

Does anyone have a work around for this issue?

It seems counter-intuitive that you create a dynamic view to securely share selected data but a powerful collaboration feature like @mentions requires you to share the source sheet that you didn't want to share in the first place.

I'd be fine if they just eliminate the "Reply in Smartsheet" button from the email.

At least that way the user would only have the option of replying by email.

• patrpham
    Options

I wonder SS can mimic Jira feature where user can simply reply email with SS ID and the email context will be appended in the comment of the record?

• Diogo
    Options

Hi! Any development on this topic?

This is very important for us. Our end-users just acess to Dynamic View, and basically the functionality to notify doesn't work, because doesn't make sense to redirect to Intake.

• Thiara Perez
    Options

The whole point of the dynamic view is to allow for collaboration without having to share all your data (source sheet), yet the most basic feature for collaboration (communication) is not possible. This needs to be addressed promptly.

• MHalvey
    MHalvey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We need this. You got my vote!

Michael Halvey

"Strive for Progress, not Perfection."

• JSpears
    JSpears ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dynamic View is not cheap. It was marketed as:

"Invite collaboration" implies comments/conversations. However, a known issue is that if you want to allow the user to use the Comments feature (including the @mention functionality), the user must be given commenter access to the underlying sheet. Which means that that user can see the sheet in their "Sheets" folder and can now see all of the elements of the underlying sheet - thereby making Dynamic View NOT FUNCTIONING AS PROMISED.

This is a BUG and needs to be fixed or we all need a refund for the tool that we paid for.

• MHalvey
    MHalvey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/29/24
    Options

@JSpears - Thank you for posting that reference. That's good to know and I completely agree with you. Hopefully they hear our requests and make this function happen. I created a post earlier this month on my case, hopefully linking it here will give more ideas to this request and help the dev team create a solution.

@Mentions in Dynamic Views in WorkApps — Smartsheet Community

Michael

Michael Halvey

• Rachel Beck
    Rachel Beck ✭✭✭
    Options

100% agreed. Our project managers work out of the source sheet, and if we need to tag a vendor that has access to their WorkApp (and therefore the dynamic view), I don't want the email notification directing them to the sheet. If they are not shared to the sheet they should be able to reply and leave a comment via email. It reduces the functionality of the dynamic views and workapps.

• Kelly Carmichael
    Options

Voting this enhancement up to the top of the dev pipeline! The ability to avoid sheet sharing with customers was one of the purchase decisions. The only way to use "@" within the DV comments is to share the source sheet and that negates the whole purpose of DV.

Please make this a priority!

• Mtmoroni
    Mtmoroni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why is this not a thing yet? I started to streamline a number of core sheets; ripping users since Dynamic View is now part of our Org - only to find that users can not comment directly back in the DV capacity. Even within our own organization, I use reports or DV to access the data. I should NEVER have a user go back to the core sheet unless they are admin and need to fix a mess up from input. UPVOTE this!

• JSpears
    JSpears ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I saw that this is coming for Workapps - will this also be available for Dynamic View?

• MHalvey
    MHalvey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd like to know this and how it will work if a Dynamic View is opened through a WorkApps.

Michael Halvey

• Thiara Perez
    Thiara Perez ✭✭
    edited 04/10/24
    Options

I was testing Dynamic View with a coworker. I was the sheet owner and she was acting as the "outsider''. We realized that she can now @ me from the DV, is this new? I feel like this was not possible before. We still have the same issue that I cannot @ her without giving access to the source sheet.

I have an automation to send an email to the person in the "assign to" when I leave a new comment. The problem is, when the person goes to the DV, there's no indication of where the new comment is, nothing is marked or highlighted. Is this related to the fact that I cannot @ the person? I feel like even without a notification, DV should indicated where the new unread comment is.

Lastly, the format of the comments is weird to me (maybe others like it). It keeps separate conversations, with the last one always being at the top, like separate "topics". So you have to keep using the reply button within that "topic", otherwise your comment creates a separate conversation at the top . I prefer a continuous sort of "chat" format with the last comment at the bottom.