Smartsheet checkbox automation triggers email notification to email in field

Hi Smartsheet Smarties! I need your help!

I have a Smartsheet with a form that people fill out requesting time off, including their email. There is a checkbox (not included in the form) that is to identify management approval. I would like to set up an automation that would email the person who filled out the form (field: email) when the checkbox is checked.

I am able to set up the workflow up to the point of selecting the email field but am never able to select it. I'm guessing the intended use is really a column with a dropdown list of values? But I only want it to notify the submitter of the form.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks a Bunch!

Best Answers

• Kenna
    Kenna ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I actually use this type function and here's how I set it up. When your staff fill out the request for time off, you mention they are entering their email address. Set that column up as a CONTACT LIST. If you want you can enter all of the staff that will be using the form, and select the RESTRICT TO LIST VALUSES ONLY option, this keeps the sheet clean by utilizing only the appropriate format, rather than manual entries for Dan, Danny, Daniel etc. entered for the same person - and allowing you to sort properly and run clean reports. Then Smartsheet will then provide you with the Contact list column (whatever you title it) option to select to send to the person in that cell.

Good Luck!

• jmhoward
    jmhoward ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

We use the approval workflow for this, but it would still require a contact field. (We don't require people to sign in to submit the request.) They select their name from a drop-down list and then they receive one message if approved and a different message if denied.

In the sheet, we have a "Manager approved?" column, which automatically lists "Approved" if the request was granted. We use the system "Created Date" and "Modified Date" columns to track when the request was submitted and when approved.

Answers

• Kenna
    Kenna ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I actually use this type function and here's how I set it up. When your staff fill out the request for time off, you mention they are entering their email address. Set that column up as a CONTACT LIST. If you want you can enter all of the staff that will be using the form, and select the RESTRICT TO LIST VALUSES ONLY option, this keeps the sheet clean by utilizing only the appropriate format, rather than manual entries for Dan, Danny, Daniel etc. entered for the same person - and allowing you to sort properly and run clean reports. Then Smartsheet will then provide you with the Contact list column (whatever you title it) option to select to send to the person in that cell.

Good Luck!

• Ken Armstrong
    Ken Armstrong ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey I believe that column has to be a contact list column type in order for it to work. Make sure that those you are wanting to be in the contact list column are either licensed or unlicensed users or you will have to add them within the contact column.

Ken Armstrong

Smartsheet Project Manager, GE Aerospace

Certified Smartsheet Administrator

Be Firm! Be Fair! Be Friendly! Be Honest!!!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Cindi Meche

I hope you're well and safe!

You could set the form so they have to log in to access it, and then if you add the system column, Created By, you can use it in the workflow to send the alert.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• jmhoward
    jmhoward ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

We use the approval workflow for this, but it would still require a contact field. (We don't require people to sign in to submit the request.) They select their name from a drop-down list and then they receive one message if approved and a different message if denied.

In the sheet, we have a "Manager approved?" column, which automatically lists "Approved" if the request was granted. We use the system "Created Date" and "Modified Date" columns to track when the request was submitted and when approved.