Cannot Edit Contact Name

BFuller
BFuller ✭✭✭
edited 02/15/24 in Smartsheet Basics

hello, I have a sheet in which I am the owner and I have a person whose email address is only appearing in the dropdown. Normally, I would edit via the pencil, but in this instance the name field is greyed out. I've not encounted this before. Any ideas on how to change this?

Answers

• Sandra Guzman
    Sandra Guzman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @BFuller,

I actually tested this out myself and you are correct - you cannot edit the name because the name field is greyed out.

So I double clicked on the contact column and selected the pencil next to the email address which opened up the same Edit Contact window you have displayed above. I can edit the e-mail address fine but not the name. It may be because there was no name initially added when the contact was added. I don't actually recall the expected behavior for this but there is a solution for you to get around this.

You will need to basically go to the contact column and then add the contacts name in the search window. Click to 'add to list' (see image below) From the contact list you can go to the name you just entered then click on the pencil icon to open the 'Edit Contact' pop up window. There you can add the email address. Click 'Save' and you will see the e-mail added. Then go back to the contact list and delete the entry with just the email address. You will want to update the contact cells that had just the email and replace it with the updated contact you created with both the name and email.

All the best,

🌻 Sandra

• I am having the same issue, and have not seen this behavior before. Perhaps a new bug?

• I am having the same issue.

• Hi @BFuller, @Eitan Kaplan and @Amanda Saccuzzo

You can edit a Contacts name by going into "My Smartsheet Contacts" and updating their name there.

You can also add a sort of "nickname" to that contact in the sheet itself by editing the value directly in the cell (versus from the Column Properties).

Note that this name won't appear in other sheets, it will be sheet-specific. If you want to update the contact name across your personal account, that's where you'll need to go into "My Smartsheet Contacts".

Otherwise, the name that appears is what that user has filled out in their personal settings, @Sandra Guzman is correct!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Christos
    Christos ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/29/23

I am also have had the same issue multiple times. In addition to the greyed-out situation, I am experiencing the following issue.

After going into My Smartsheet Contacts and clicking "Add", I am seeing that when typing in new contact info into the Contact dialog box, I am unable correct / edit any typo in the name or email address. In other words, I am unable backspace or delete any typed characters. I also am unable to add any additional spaces. I can however enter new characters, but this does nothing to correct any misspellings, and actually makes the problem worse.

The only thing I can do to correct a mistyped name or email address is to close the Contact dialog box and start over. I am experiencing this over and over again, many times, and can replicate the problem repeatedly, and would be happy to demonstrate it to any SS support person.

Hopefully this is not a new feature.

• Hi @Christos

I'm unable to replicate what you're describing, I can backspace or delete text from both the name and email fields:

Can you test to see if it's a browser setting?

• Try this in Incognito Mode (this indicates it's a cache/cookie issue and may be resolved by clearing cache)
    • Try this in another browser
    • If another browser works, test different browser add-ons

Here's more information: Troubleshoot issues caused by browser extensions

If none of this has helped, please capture a screen recording of what you're seeing and then submit a Support ticket, identifying all the browser types & troubleshooting you've tried.

Thanks,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• scisar
    scisar ✭✭✭
    edited 02/14/24

Hi @Genevieve P. ,

I am having the same issue Christos described above, where they were unable to edit in the My Smartsheet Contacts dialog box. In addition to closing out, I also had to refresh my screen in order to clear the dialog box, as simply closing out and re-opening My Smartsheet Contacts did not clear the dialog box.

Another issue I'm having is that I have successfully edited a contact's name in My Smartsheet Contacts, but their name is still not being displayed in my Smartsheet column (only their email address). I have refreshed the page, logged in and out of Smartsheet, and restarted my computer, with none of them having any effect on this issue. I'm experiencing this issue with a few contacts, but not all.

• Joe Goetschel
    Joe Goetschel ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all!

I had a client have the same issue. I created this step-by-step, hope it helps!

Joe Goetschel | Smartsheet Director | SCS CLOUD - Smartsheet Partner

joe.goetschel@scscloud.com

Save My Contact

"The only real limitation of Smartsheet is the level of effort required to achieve your goal."

• PDunn
    PDunn ✭✭✭✭✭

Did this get resolved worked so well before now greyed out even in Incognito mode in chrome with my cache cleared.

• MMcLain
    MMcLain ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. @PDunn

I actually submitted a ticket on the contact field issues on 08/15/2023 (Ticket No.: 06394273). Multiple members worked on this until 12/17/2023, I was then informed that this was an open bug. So far, no further updates available.

I reported:

Issue #1: Unable to edit Name Field in Contact Columns:

Issue #2: Sheet/Screen Freeze While Editing Contacts: