Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Multiple Line Entries with one Form Submission

neekdelrooz
neekdelrooz âś­âś­

It would be great feature if one form could be used to fill in multiple lines/rows on a sheet. This would be super useful for my team.

As of now, form entries can only create singular row entries on sheets.

Tags:
15 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• NasJ_SD
    NasJ_SD âś­âś­

This seems to be a common discussion from the past but maybe there's a workaround now. I would like to be able to create a request form that allows the user to request multiple items in one form and have it translate over to sheets in separate rows while maintaining the main details.

Example: Part #1 of the form includes the requestor name, email, cost centers, project codes, ship to, etc. Part #2 of the form includes requested items - description, part numbers, quantity. Can vary from one item to multiple.

It would be great to be able to have it transfer to sheets as separate rows maintaining the info from part #1 with each requested item from part #2 as separate rows. The user currently has to submit a form for each item they request which is very time consuming. Surprised this is not an option.

• Kyle1234
    Kyle1234 âś­âś­

Forms need to be able to generate multiple rows based on the information inputed.

For example: I work in a laboratory and I create a number of "plates" for each project. Each plate has identical information except for a few columns which can be altered manually. If I'm going to create eight plates, there needs to be an optional section on the form that causes it to generate eight entries rather than submitting eight forms. I can do this with a few lines of code in excel, it will take very little effort to implement.

• Monicacraven
    Monicacraven âś­âś­âś­âś­

It would be just as helpful if a user could choose after submission to "Submit another response" that way they don't have to go back to the original link, they could stay in smartsheet and submit over and over again?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hey @Monicacraven

This is currently possible! 🙂

In the Form Settings, you can have the form "reload" after it's been submitted so they can stay on the same page and submit the form multiple times.

Here's more information: Manage Form Display and Submission Options

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Monicacraven
    Monicacraven âś­âś­âś­âś­
  • Carrie Barnett
    Carrie Barnett âś­âś­âś­âś­

We use Smartsheet to create class schedules - some courses have 20 classes that need to be scheduled - it would be great if all 20 classes could be created with the same form submission, thereby creating 20 rows in the collecting sheet. Right now, we have to use sheets for data entry so that we can see the entire schedule for one "course block". It makes for much more work on the back end.

• AEForrest
    AEForrest âś­âś­âś­

Hi Carrie, can you provide more context on this issue so that someone can suggest a solution?

Do you want the form to be used by the teacher or the student? Are the classes already scheduled and then just need to be chosen?

• AndrĂ©e StarĂĄ
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Carrie Barnett

I hope you're well and safe!

I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

Would that help/work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

âś…Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Carrie Barnett

Hi @AEForrest - sorry for the delay in my response, and thanks for giving it some thought! We work with a few outside partners that schedule our classes using their "instructors" (teachers) and locations. The form would be used by our partners' schedulers to tell us the date, time, location, and instructor for each session within a course block. One course block has 20 sessions, each of which results in its own row in the collective "main class schedule" which is then published (connected to another system) for learners to enroll in the course block or individual sessions. Where I'm trying to get to is that our partners submit one form that creates 20 rows in the receiving sheet. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

• Carrie Barnett

Hi @Andrée Starå , sorry for my delayed response - I appreciate your thoughts on this. I am trying to get the schedule for all 20 classes on one form submission, so that it creates 20 rows in the receiving sheet that can then be ushered through the approval process.

• LFischer
    LFischer âś­âś­

@Andrée Starå I am setting up a form to do something similar. Setting up a form for our distributors to sing up for training. Want them to be able to sign up with a main contact and then add several participants, with each being on a separate line. I did setup 2 forms, so that the main info is entered, and then the form to load the participants is loaded after the initial submission. However, that means those lines leave the main contact blank. Is there a way to autoload the main contact info to those rows?

• This definitely needs to become a feature. We are trying to collect information that needs to be listed in different rows vs different columns. With not being able to do this via a form, I am having to send out an excel doc to collect this information and then have it sent back.