Workflow to send out FIRST attachement in a row ONLY

BigAl
BigAl ✭✭✭✭

Hello Smartsheet Community,

I would like to send out an attachment via a workflow (Alert somebody), however this workflow should only start automatically for the first document which is attached to a row. Background is, that an attachement is created automatically by another workflow (=Generate document). This document will then be send out for final checks and signature to some people. After the all signed the then signed document is uploaded again to this row. However as the signing persons are the same who received the workflow it does not make sense to send out the document again. Any change to set this workflow up so that only a workflow with the first attachement is being send out?

Thanks Alex

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @BigAl

I hope you're well and safe!

You can add a Workflow that checks a box in the so-called helper column. The helper column would be checked when the first attachment is added, and then you can add a condition not to trigger the workflow when it's checked.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• BigAl
    BigAl ✭✭✭✭

Hello Andrée, thanks (again) for your quick answer and solution proposal. If I understand correctly the check mark should be set by a workflow as well in the helper column, however the trigger for the workflow to check the box in the helper column can only be set with "when triggered". I am afraid that the ceckbox will be set before the other workflow to send out the attachment will be send out and therefore not being triggered. Do you see the problem or maybe I misunderstand. Thanks again for you help. Alex