Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Cell Linking Autofill or other means when sheet too big

Options
GDMilk
GDMilk
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I sent in a comment to Customer Success that the sheet is getting slow performance.  The response was bust it up into multiple sheets.  Well I like the idea, I'm not sure I like the solution - it make everything now manual unless someone can tell me a better way.

The first four columns in my Master Sheet would need to be on every sheet, they hold critical status, dates, size, name of site.  These factors are used in all calculations.

So if I make one sheet for summary of sizes.

One sheet for hours

One sheet for dates

Don't I now have the risk that a date is updated on the master sheet or a size?  I must have cell linking to ensure they stay the same between sheets right?

So now even if I use Zapier to create a new row in the other sheets once a row is added to the Master sheet now I have to manually go in and create links for those key cells.  Also my concern, aren't links one way?  So if a person is working in the dates sheet and knows that it has changed, they enter it, but if link is from Master to Dates Sheet it won't update the master correct?

Seems like I have to now have manual step on multiple sheets to have data integrity to work around poor performance response.   Is there another way?  Do Links Autofill like a formula with the next row down each time a row is added?

Thoughts?  Options?

Thanks

Comments

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm currently having issues with a slow sheet as well, with less than 30 columns and less than 100 rows (though many lookups and references). I'm also curious about the answers to your questions

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Got a solution for mine. I reorganized my sheet so the lookups had less data to deal with. I changed it from 21 search columns to 6 and it drastically increased the speed of my sheet. Hopefully you can do the same if you are using lookups.

This discussion has been closed.