Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Dynamic dropdowns - Waterfall request

Comments

• AndrĂ©e StarĂĄ
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/23/23

This would be such a game-changer feature!

My mind goes wild with all the possible solutions I could develop for clients if I had this available.

2023 = the year of dropdown list improvements? 🙏

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Dan Cliff
    Dan Cliff âś­âś­âś­âś­

This would be a major game changer for us - centralising all dropdown menus and allowing for cascading menus would resolve a few business processes around project management.

Currently any change to these lists is laborious as we need to change every active project manually, as a result we don't often bother as it's often not worth the investment in time to manually update 50 different sheets.

• Lahcene
    Lahcene âś­âś­

Can I make the default values in a field specific to the selection of a previous field?

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

Dynamic Dropdowns is a feature I use constantly in Excel, so it would be a HUGE asset to have it available here within Smartsheet!

Sherry Fox

Project Analyst | Core Quality Services (QMS Transformation)

Medtronic

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

• Warren Labuschagne
    Warren Labuschagne âś­âś­âś­âś­

This would be great. It would be useful if the dropdown list could be referenced from another column instead of a static list within the column that is typed in when setting up the dropdown column. Then the dropdown options could be automatically updated as the referenced column is updated. In Appsheet, you could select difference columns based on the selection in the dropdown.

• Jim B
    Jim B âś­âś­âś­

Would be a total game-changer for me.

• scottreiter
    scottreiter âś­âś­âś­âś­

This would be very valuable to have in a form. We are developing a hiring request form ... and there are many jobs positions and they are organized by department. In the form, we would like the ability to limit the list of available jobs based on which department is selected. Having this waterfall/conditional list would help the user experience as they would have less options to sort thru. It would also help with data integrity as we would know that the job position selected is valid for that department.

• snowmeiser
    snowmeiser âś­âś­âś­

Upvote for dynamic drop lists. Needed very much!!

• Kelly Ospina
    Kelly Ospina âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

Waterfall drop-downs would be so helpful. For example, we have a large list of products. If we were able to select "Fluid Applied" as the project type, it would be ideal if in the products field we then saw only the fluid applied products in the drop-down list.

• Julian Sindall
    Julian Sindall âś­âś­âś­

I often want to have a drop-down menu from a list of entries from the same sheet or another one, in the same way that I can do that for Data Validation in Excel, particularly with Named Ranges.

This would take flexible functionality a whole step up in Smartsheet.

• Nathan Markey
    Nathan Markey âś­âś­

Would be amazing to have this feature - both Parent/Child relationship in dropdown options but also have the values of those fields be fed from a separate Sheet/Register. One sheet acting as a Contact Register: Company, Contact lists etc and then to use these fields on a permit application form/register.

• topazfae
    topazfae âś­âś­âś­

This would be fab feature to have. I have a long list of roles but would like to reduce that long list based on the previous column. If I select Product A, I should get Role ABC, if I select Product B, I should get select Role ERP, so on.

• Billing Manager
    Billing Manager âś­âś­

It appears that a large number of people see the value in having dependent dropdown lists in Smartsheet.

I too would very much like to see this implemented sooner than later. While Smartsheet indeed has some advantages over Excel, the inability to incorporate dependent dropdowns is a huge disappointment.

Is there a solution/upgrade in progress?? This would be an amazing feature to have. I am surprised to have found threads as old as 2018 requesting the same functionality, and yet still no resolve.

Please consider the wishes of the masses... WE NEED DEPENDENT DROPDOWN LISTS🙏🙏🙏

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

The ability to not only display certain columns/fields based on prior selections, but to control what options (drop down VALUES specifically) are presented.

For example:

Form field 1:

If "Option 1" is selected, show column 2 dropdown field, BUT, only values 1-7 are options

If "Option 2" is selected, show column 2 dropdown field, BUT only values 8-14 are options

I have a separate conversation asking for workarounds here for context:

Forms: Best practice to reduce columns when using forms with logic — Smartsheet Community

Rationale:

This will reduce the number of columns needed in a sheet to collect information, while also reducing the number of options presented to the user. The reduced number of columns is important, as often an intake form is a "launching" sheet that may have automations to copy rows to other sheets resulting in tons of helper columns going along for the ride.

Implementation:

Using the same interface, simply add a "which values are valid selections"

• DavidJay
    DavidJay âś­âś­

This is list of requests appears to be two different requests.

1. Populating the available values in a dropdown from another sheet. (FYI, this can be accomplished with Bridge. See link below)
    2. Dynamically updating the available values in a dropdown according to the value entered into another field.

I am writing in support of #2. I have tons of use cases that this would be valuable for.

ex. We have a service request intake that has fields for building, floors, and rooms. I would like to narrow the next field according to how the previous field was entered. Building 1 might only have 3 floors, so if a use selects Building 1, then only 01, 02, and 03 would be available as options in the Floors field.

Link Mentioned Above: This method is specific to the source being an object array and the target being a dropdown. Updating contact lists require a slightly different process but can be achieved as well.