Colour Coding data points (scatter plot) based on status.

liv.hagen
liv.hagen ✭✭✭
edited 06/08/23 in Smartsheet Basics

How can I display the priority rating of a task against the created date with the datapoint being colour coded by status. ie. in progress (green), on hold (red), backlog (black). I am pulling the data from this report, and have made a counter to display "1" if the task is in a certain status so that the chart has numerical values to pull from. However, I am not getting the visual I am looking for. I can get a visual of the priority against the created date, if anyone has any advice on how to get the datapoints colour coded it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• Hi @liv.hagen

I would personally adjust the formulas you have in the 3 counting columns to instead show the value in the Priority Ranking column if it matches the Status that column represents:

=IF(Status@row = "Backlog", [Priority Ranking]@row, "-")

=IF(Status@row = "In Progress", [Priority Ranking]@row, "-")

=IF(Status@row = "On Hold", [Priority Ranking]@row, "-")

Then you'll have three columns that can be used in your Scatter Chart, so that it can map different colours to the different columns. Note that you'll want to de-select the "Priority Ranking" column from the chart so you don't have duplicate data:

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• liv.hagen
    liv.hagen ✭✭✭

Thanks so much!

• Masmuha
    Masmuha ✭✭

Hello, I'm wondering what account plan to have in order to avail of this feature. I have tried but it doesn't seem to work on my side. Do you need to have the business plan or will the pro plan work?

Thanks.

• Hi @Masmuha

Pro Plans have access to Chart Widgets, including the Scatter Chart.

Can you show a screen capture of what you see when you're looking to add a Scatter Chart to your Dashboard?

• Masmuha
    Masmuha ✭✭
    edited 07/19/23

I can add the scatter chart, but unfortunately it doesn't allow me to colour code them. I've followed your instructions as shown above and used the exact same method. Please see screenshot below! Thanks.

• Hey @Masmuha

What does your source data look like? I can see in the legend of your chart that there's only one value: "Standard". Since it's only mapping one value, you can only have the one colour. Does that make sense?