Is there a glitch in the alert automation when trying to add the double curly brackets?

When creating an alert based on a row being added or changed, I can set the alert to go out hourly, daily, weekly. However, when I add the fields with the double curly brackets, it will not allow me to use the hourly, daily, weekly feature. Is this a glitch in Smartsheet? Has anyone else noticed this?

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Sorry. I misspoke. You are correct that it is not a time based trigger, but it is a time based sending of the alert. If you have 10 rows that changed within that 1 hour period, then it will send all 10 of those rows within the same alert. Since it is pulling 10 rows, it does not know which row to pull the {{Placeholder}} from.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is expected. The {{Placeholder}} uses data from the row that triggers the automation. If you have multiple rows set to go out (time based trigger), then it will not know which row to pull the data from to fill the {{Placeholder}}.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Andrea_Thompson
    Andrea_Thompson ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your reply @Paul Newcome! But it is not a time based trigger, it is based on when a row is changed. And I am trying to add the {{Placeholder}} into the body of the notification message at the bottom. Why would adding in a {{Placeholder}} work for a run workflow right away, but not for a workflow run weekly? This is how the automation looks, and it works fine until I add in the {{Placeholder}} into the body of the message and then it says I can't run it weekly, but I can have it triggered right away.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Sorry. I misspoke. You are correct that it is not a time based trigger, but it is a time based sending of the alert. If you have 10 rows that changed within that 1 hour period, then it will send all 10 of those rows within the same alert. Since it is pulling 10 rows, it does not know which row to pull the {{Placeholder}} from.

10xViz.com

• Andrea_Thompson
    Andrea_Thompson ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes, that makes sense! Thank you for your help. I also missed this note on their website:

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com