2»

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@EricaGraf

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My 2 cents, I am only a developer asked to create for various projects which have been partially created. These projects normally contain a defined structure based on the project. I am asked to create specific sheets, given names and folder locations for them. These are items that I do not have control over. And I have noticed that "structure" from project to project (naming conventions and folders) is often the same. a folder name of "Dashboard Data" for example is simply not much help when I need to search and select a sheet. What about including a full path instead. If I have multiple files in the same folder name for each project, I need to be confident I am selecting the correct one.

Sherry Fox

Project Analyst | Core Quality Services (QMS Transformation)

Medtronic

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

• Brooke Y
    Brooke Y ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SJ Sellers

I'm glad you were able to find a work around by renaming the folder the sheet you need is in.

I too would recommend Control Center if you have an Enterprise plan. If you have the templates and connections created, I suggest reading through the documentation to see about setting it up yourselves.

Short of that, I understand your need to not have additional names on files, but will tell you from experience if someone deletes a workspace and you recover the sheets from the "Deleted" bin, they will no longer be in their workspaces and folders. You will have to manually move each sheet back where it belongs. With same names, this could take a long time.

Like @Paul Newcome has posted, I much prefer the Sheet Picker method. I am having issues locating sheets by search name and I normally just know where to go to find them, not the full name.

• SJ Sellers
    SJ Sellers ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Brooke Y Thank you for your response. We do not have any duplicative names within a single workspace. If someone deletes a workspace, there will not be an issue with identical names.

I appreciate everyone offering ideas for workarounds. But they are just that: workarounds for the design overlooking a very valid way users might choose to use the tool that they purchased. It is unreasonable to expect users to manage 100% unique sheet names. How many of us reading this thread have a sheet called "To Do List" in our Sheets folder? Probably at least a few. Better not share the sheet with anyone else because guess what? your sheet name is no longer unique.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SJ Sellers I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you. In fact, I know that I do agree with you that the search feature can use some improvements. We're just trying to help make your life (and other's) a little bit easier collaboratively as we all struggle through these challenges together.

Yes. The tool could be better.

Yes. The suggestions made are workarounds.

But at least it is better than nothing.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

hmmm - interesting thread.

For me, I don't like the update - sorry Smartsheet. But I am a consultant that works on HUNDREDS of client workspaces. When I set up an automation for the client, I know the sheet when I see it in the workspace, folder drilldownable screen (old method) but I have no idea what the sheet is called to use the new method.

It is creating wasted time having to stop creating the workflow, go back to the browse list, look up exactly what the sheet is called (hoping no other client has a sheet with the same name) then trying to allocate the correct one.

When you are an organisation that only works on your own data, then this may not be an issue. But for a consultant that supports multiple clients and has access to many workspaces, this is NOT an easy method for us to work with.

Please return to the OLD format for this particular feature!

Debbie Sawyer

• Lekshmi Unnithan
    Options

Hi, Community. Thank you for trying out the feature and leaving your feedback. I will take your feedback back to the Product and Engineering team to discuss this as a potential future enhancement.

• Joseph Aloysias
    Joseph Aloysias ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Its very difficult to find the right sheet without workspace name selection. its not convenient at all. I have already submitted product enhancement request.

• Josh W
    Josh W ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The new 'search only' option is terrible! I can barely find all my different sheets in the folders, never mind remember the exact names to pick out of the search results. Directory of folders to click through like everywhere else, please!

• ACT4All
    ACT4All ✭✭
    Options

This "improvement" is horrible. Even with Control Center and adding project names to sheets, it can be impossible to find the "original" sheet in the toolkit, if there are over one hundred active projects, since the search doesn't account for a "quotation mark" search, i.e. search exactly for this term.

Now I have to rename the original sheet, wait until it updates somewhere, then pick the sheet and then rename it back... how could anyone have thought that this was a good idea?