Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Report - Recent Changes

Options

Having a Report that you could run on a Sheet to show recent changes/cell history would be extremely helpful. This would allow for admins to drill down into recent changes and understand potential next steps to take. Also, having a Report that would show recent changes could be easily exported out and shared with managers/leadership as to recent changes. Currently, the only way to understand changes is to utilize the Highlighter function, and then from there I write out an update. This is fine in situations where only a few cells/rows have changed but on larger projects where hundreds of rows are changing, it would be more efficient to have a Report collate this information. If the Report could show the cell history, that would be even better!

6 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @AmandaB

If you're on a Business or Enterprise plan and you have at least Admin permissions on a sheet, you can check the Activity Log to see a list of changes made.

You can filter this by date and also by action (e.g. Change Cell value). This will show you the previous history next to the change!

Here's more information: Track changes with the activity log

If you need a Report that shows different information or acts in a certain way, can you add those details here?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• AmandaB
    AmandaB ✭✭✭
    Options

@GenevieveP

Thank you for the suggestion of utilizing the activity log. I had looked into trying to make that work but the problem is that the information is captured by row and I have multiple people utilizing the sheet and sorting the sheet. The information the activity log is useful, but trying to connect the information back is difficult if the sheet has been sorted between the download of the log and looking at the sheet. It would be nice if the activity log would include a column of the user's choosing (that column being the row's unique identifier) or maybe the primary column so that it can be easily discerned as to which row has changed.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @AmandaB

Thanks for describing your scenario a little more!

The details next to the row number should display the value in the Primary Column so if the row has moved you can use that to track the row. In my example, Row 7 has the value "Legacy 1" in the Primary Column.

There currently isn't a way to customize this to be relating to a different column, but you could use a formula to bring in values into the Primary from another column (e.g. an auto-number column). Will that work for you?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• AmandaB
    AmandaB ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you. I can get by with utilizing the intro information contained to the row. However, if it is something that could be worked on, I would find it helpful if that primary column was its own column to aid in sorting and working with the Excel file of the log.

• sheetguru
    Options

I was also looking to run a report for changes to a specific column and couldn't. I ended up running an automation that copies the row into a new sheen when a specific column is updated. I can maybe then run a report or filter on this new sheet for recent changes