Manejo de usuarios sin licencias (editores)

CarolLem
CarolLem ✭✭
edited 07/10/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I would like help to clarify a doubt about user administration.

In the case of Acquiring an Enterprise license from the active directory, can you manage the users to whom it was shared as editors (without a license) or can the sheet editors only be managed manually from each sheet? It is for the case that the sheet is shared with an official without a license to edit, and then that official leaves the company. Is access removed from active directory or does the sheet owner have to manually log in and remove you from the sheet?

Best Answer

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Greetings @CarolLem,

I'll try to answer all of your questions and provide insight into good practices for managing sheets.

Active directory will provide access to all users in your domain but does not necessarily provide them a license. I would not auto-assign licenses to all users since all users may not need a license. There are many methods for allowing users to request a license and provide a license on a temporary basis to manage if a user needs a license.

Assigning access to any assets is not automatic and requires the owner or user with the correct permissions to add that user. I would suggest not using this approach to manage user access to assets. If you want a user to have access, I would suggest creating groups within the admin page and adding a group to the assets you want to share. This will ensure a new user will have access to the same assets as the rest of that team without having to provide access to each individual asset.

If the user is removed from the active directory, they will no longer have access using the login credentials provided by the AD. You will have to remove the user manually from the user list within the Smartsheet Admin page.

In the admin screen, you can remove the user from all groups and delete the user. If you are using the sharing method above (by groups), this will remove access and delete the user.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Smith, PMP

Assistant Director | IT Special Projects Mgr.

Oregon Parks & Recreation Department

If my response helps, please mark it as an accepted answer. 😎

Answers

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Greetings @CarolLem,

I'll try to answer all of your questions and provide insight into good practices for managing sheets.

Active directory will provide access to all users in your domain but does not necessarily provide them a license. I would not auto-assign licenses to all users since all users may not need a license. There are many methods for allowing users to request a license and provide a license on a temporary basis to manage if a user needs a license.

Assigning access to any assets is not automatic and requires the owner or user with the correct permissions to add that user. I would suggest not using this approach to manage user access to assets. If you want a user to have access, I would suggest creating groups within the admin page and adding a group to the assets you want to share. This will ensure a new user will have access to the same assets as the rest of that team without having to provide access to each individual asset.

If the user is removed from the active directory, they will no longer have access using the login credentials provided by the AD. You will have to remove the user manually from the user list within the Smartsheet Admin page.

In the admin screen, you can remove the user from all groups and delete the user. If you are using the sharing method above (by groups), this will remove access and delete the user.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Smith, PMP

Assistant Director | IT Special Projects Mgr.

Oregon Parks & Recreation Department

If my response helps, please mark it as an accepted answer. 😎