Looking for a review on the Work Apps feature

Right now we have the Business Plan, but I'm considering moving to the Enterprise Plan only to get access to the Work Apps feature. Looking for some real user reviews to determine if it would be worth it.

What do you like and not like about the feature?

Best Answers

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Greetings @CamSME,

As a frequent implementor of WorkApps, it is a potent tool, especially if you are trying to convey information to specific groups of users and must present it in both a computer and mobile experience.

I utilize it to share project information with stakeholders across the state, including contractors outside the agency. It allows me to tailor the information to specific groups in a single location.

It integrates seamlessly with Smartsheet assets except for Dynamic views, which we have asked for to be changed.

One of the things to consider that Smartsheet is not clear about is the number of Collaborators you will need to purchase. Collaborators are the people who will use the WorkApp during the month, and Smartsheet has bundle packages. There is a cost, so include this in your cost analysis. The good news is that the collaborators reset each month, so it is not tied to a specific user.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Smith, PMP

Assistant Director | IT Special Projects Mgr.

Oregon Parks & Recreation Department

If my response helps, please mark it as an accepted answer. 😎

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@CamSME,

So anyone using the WorkApp to view the information would be considered a Collaborator. For example, if you have 100 people who have access to WorkApp, then you have the potential to need a 100-collaborator pack.

The collaborator packs are not tied to your Smartsheet licensed users but to anyone who views the information using the WorkApp.

In my example above, the chances of every single user accessing the WorkApp each month are slim, so you could adjust the number as needed. In addition, the Admin screen shows how many users have accessed the WorkApp and used a collaborator slot for the current month.

Frank Smith, PMP

Answers

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Greetings @CamSME,

As a frequent implementor of WorkApps, it is a potent tool, especially if you are trying to convey information to specific groups of users and must present it in both a computer and mobile experience.

I utilize it to share project information with stakeholders across the state, including contractors outside the agency. It allows me to tailor the information to specific groups in a single location.

It integrates seamlessly with Smartsheet assets except for Dynamic views, which we have asked for to be changed.

One of the things to consider that Smartsheet is not clear about is the number of Collaborators you will need to purchase. Collaborators are the people who will use the WorkApp during the month, and Smartsheet has bundle packages. There is a cost, so include this in your cost analysis. The good news is that the collaborators reset each month, so it is not tied to a specific user.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank Smith, PMP

• CamSME
    CamSME ✭✭✭✭

@Frank S. Great insight, thank you! Your comment on the collaborators is interesting. As of now, all of the collaborators I foresee having permission to add/modify data already have licenses, but the dashboards would be for external viewing for clients we don't intend to purchase additional licenses. Would you see an issue there?

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@CamSME,

So anyone using the WorkApp to view the information would be considered a Collaborator. For example, if you have 100 people who have access to WorkApp, then you have the potential to need a 100-collaborator pack.

The collaborator packs are not tied to your Smartsheet licensed users but to anyone who views the information using the WorkApp.

In my example above, the chances of every single user accessing the WorkApp each month are slim, so you could adjust the number as needed. In addition, the Admin screen shows how many users have accessed the WorkApp and used a collaborator slot for the current month.

Frank Smith, PMP

• cjhagerman
    cjhagerman ✭✭✭

@Frank S. , Building on this older thread...How do work app collaborators impact an accounts connected user counts? Are they linked together? Our connected user count is higher than expected, but our work app collaborators count is low. I would prefer to drive employees to the work app, but I'm not looking to drive up our connected user count more. My hope would be to decrease connected users by driving them to work app collaborations. Thoughts?

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Greetings @cjhagerman,

Sorry, I missed your question earlier, and for the delayed response.

WorkApp Collaborators can be either unlicensed Smartsheet users or anyone you provide with the WorkApp link, regardless of whether they have a Smartsheet account. You have to grant access to the WorkApp either via a specific user or group of users. I suggest using groups to provide access to a WorkApp to make managing the overall access easier.

If you create a WorkApp and provide access to the WorkApp, the users who access the WorkApp will be tracked as Collaborators and will not impact your Smartsheet connected count. The Collaborator count resets monthly, so it will change as the WorkApp users utilize the WorkApp.

Shifting users to WorkApps and adoption of the WorkApp will shift connected users from Smartsheet to WorkApp.

Frank Smith, PMP

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @cjhagerman

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Frank's excellent advice/answer.

This might be helpful!

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.