Automation - Email to address in Smartsheet Column

I am trying to send an automatic email when something changes in the Smartsheet. I want to send the email to the email address in one of the columns, however, the only option I'm given is to send it to the "Submitter". However that is a generic user and not an email address. How do I get it to send to the email address in the other column?

Best Answer

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Katherine Simpson

You didn't specify how you are getting an email address in that cell, but here's some ideas.

There's a couple ways to go about it. A lookup function based on some criteria to select who to send it to. Possibly adding a option to select who to email within the form. Manually entering an email. A couple options through automations would be to specify who to send it to or input a constant email address by using the change cell value.

The column type has to be a Contact List too.

Answers

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Katherine Simpson

You didn't specify how you are getting an email address in that cell, but here's some ideas.

There's a couple ways to go about it. A lookup function based on some criteria to select who to send it to. Possibly adding a option to select who to email within the form. Manually entering an email. A couple options through automations would be to specify who to send it to or input a constant email address by using the change cell value.

The column type has to be a Contact List too.

• Thank you @MichaelTCA . The email is entered manually by the person filling out the associated form. Changing it to a Contact List worked. I was able to select it in the automation script. Thank you!