Automation Error - Notifications

Options

I'm having an issue with my notification workflows when someone submits a new request through a form I created. I recently updated the 'Submitted By" field on the form to a drop down option so those submitting new requests can type their name and their email address auto populates. Previously, the field was left as open ended so the submitter would have to manually enter their email address. Since the update, I'm encountering a workflow error in which I'm not given an option to alert the person listed in the "Submitted By" field. My options are limited to other columns on my sheet.

The goal is to update the progress of their request.

Answers

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @HAA

Is the submitted by column also a contact list? It doesn't show up in the selections for the automation so I assume it's not. The column must be a contact list. Even if an email address is entered into a text/number column, you won't have the ability to send an automation to the cells.

• HAA
    HAA ✭✭✭
    Options

@MichaelTCA It is not a contact list. I initially was hoping to have the column as a contact list, however I was encountering issues uploading 1000+ contacts. The idea was to allow the submitter to type their email and have it auto-populate to avoid having to manually enter their email each time. I tried to do a workaround and create a drop down option with all the contacts listed as options. I hope that makes sense.

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/27/23
    Options

@HAA

A potential work around to this is to add the email addresses to the Contacts Column manually. If you edit the column properties you can add email addresses there and then they will show in a drop down fashion, unfortunately only one email at a time though, not a paste field.

• HAA
    HAA ✭✭✭
    Options

@JamesB That's what I thought. I wish there was a way to have a CRM capability so internal/external contacts can be auto-populated versus having to manually enter each contact individually OR upload a contact list via excel format in bulk.

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@HAA I have not looked at it, but I wonder if this could be handled through the API.

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/27/23
    Options

@HAA

A CRM feature like that would still need a database to reference. At some point in the game, someone is going to have to enter their information.

I use a separate sheet to hold all contact data and use lookup function to specify who to send the information to based on the company they work for and the region. Just an idea.

Enter it all in a single sheet and reference that sheet instead of adding and removing contacts from every sheet.