Multiple approvers - number of approvers varies per entry

Options

Hello,

I am setting up an approval workflow where I may have a varying number of approvers. I have created fields for four different approvers. This is not a sequential request; all approvers can approve at the same time. My plan was to put all four potential approvers on the same workflow step (see screenshot below). Will that work? What if Approver 1 email is the only email address populated, and I don't have an Approver 2, 3, and 4? Does that break the workflow?

As I write this, it occurs to me that maybe I want a separate approval workflow for each of the approvers, and it will only run if the field is populated, and then their response will be captured in an individual field for each approver, rather than all lumped in together. Is that the best way to do it? It doesn't seem very efficient, but maybe that doesn't matter. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The second way is the way to go. Lumping them all together won't break the workflow if one is not populated, but only one field would be used to store the approval selection. This means that the first person to respond gets their answer stored, and no one else is able to respond.

Setting them up in separate workflows allows you to capture their responses in separate columns.

Answers