Several Columns Have the Same Name

I have several workspaces that people use to make different sheets. The problem is that whenever I try to make a report for someone and I'm sorting out which columns to include, there are several columns with the same name. For instance, if the column name was 'Contacts', there are four columns named 'Contacts' which each one being used on multiple different sheets. How can I fix this issue to prevent people who have access to these workspaces in the future from making a column with the same name and how do I get all of these options narrowed down to one?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Monique Odom-Stearn
    Monique Odom-Stearn ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @happinessisland,

What is likely happening here is that the columns from the various sheets are different column types. For example, one sheet might have the Contacts column as a Contact List, another might have it as a Dropdown List, and yet another might have it as Text. Each column type will show up separately on a report. If you want the data to combine into a single report column, they should all be the same Column Type.

I would suggest changing them all to the same type and then educating people using those sheets on the preferred way to use Contacts columns in your process.

If my comment helped you, please help others by marking it as an accepted answer and consider helping me by clicking the 💡Insightful or ❤️Awesome buttons below!

Monique Odom-Stearn

Business Process Excellence Manager

Smartsheet Leader & Community Champion

Pronouns: She/Her (What’s this?)

“Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!” – Ms. Frizzle

Answers

• Monique Odom-Stearn
    Monique Odom-Stearn ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @happinessisland,

What is likely happening here is that the columns from the various sheets are different column types. For example, one sheet might have the Contacts column as a Contact List, another might have it as a Dropdown List, and yet another might have it as Text. Each column type will show up separately on a report. If you want the data to combine into a single report column, they should all be the same Column Type.

I would suggest changing them all to the same type and then educating people using those sheets on the preferred way to use Contacts columns in your process.

If my comment helped you, please help others by marking it as an accepted answer and consider helping me by clicking the 💡Insightful or ❤️Awesome buttons below!

Monique Odom-Stearn

Business Process Excellence Manager

Smartsheet Leader & Community Champion

Pronouns: She/Her (What’s this?)

“Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!” – Ms. Frizzle

• Thank you so much! I didn't think of that.