Resetting AUTO NUMBER count in column

LGraf
LGraf ✭✭✭✭

I tested the AUTO NUMBER column setup in a sheet to see how it works. After deleting the column and entering a new one with the proper setup, the sheet is continuing to count starting from where the previous (deleted) column left off. So, instead of starting from QUO-0001 it starts from QUO-2467 as in the attached screenshot. When I set the starting number to 1 the preview properly displays QUO-0001 but then the sheet continues the count at a much later number regardless, as attached.

How do I reset the auto number count?

Answers

• Hi LGraf, did you get an answer? I'm experiencing the same thing.

• LGraf
    LGraf ✭✭✭✭

I did the same thing (delete the column with the auto numbering and create a new one) a few more times over the subsequent couple of weeks and at some point it randomly worked... That's probably not super helpful to you, so sorry about that.

• I had the same issue! Did you find a way to resolve it? I would love to know how! Thanks.

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/06/24

Reset the auto-number column

In the event that your numbering schema changes or if the column isn't displaying numbers as expected, you can reset the auto-number column:

1.  Select the drop-down arrow under the column's header and select Delete Column.
    2. Click Save in the top toolbar.
    3. Select File > Refresh.
    4. Create a new auto-number column with your correct values.

When setting the values in your new auto-number column, it's important to set the starting value to 1 to ensure that the column increments from 1 (as opposed to from a value in the prior auto-number column).

5. Save the sheet to populate the column with new numbers.

This information is located on.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1108408-auto-numbering-rows

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.