SmartSheet security non licensed user w/ personal Smartsheet license

Hello,

Recently I learned that a non-licensed staff member was able to copy a project sheet, create their own and then delete all of the information in the project account. I learned today that this person purchased a personal Smartsheet license. This allowed him to create new sheets in our business account workspace. This seems like a security issue if non-licensed users are able to circumvent the licensing issue if they are willing to purchase themselves. I looked at the users and now they are not on the account though have been shared workspaces for the past month. They said they used their work email for this (but I know they have multiple emails). He is still on the project and will need to access our workspaces, however, how can I keep him from creating sheets within the business account?

Thank you,

Carla

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I thought you meant they purchased the license on a personal email.

If they purchased the license on the work email, then the license will need to be removed from the work email account. If they have a license, then they can easily "save as new". With out a license, they cannot "own" Smartsheet items and as such would not be able to make copies of anything.

The sharing permission restriction will ensure that they are not able to share it to an outside account that has a license and then use that account to create the new copy.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You will have to make sure that the work email address never has a permission higher than Editor - Cannot Share.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• cbredehoeft
    cbredehoeft ✭✭✭✭✭

The issue is, he purchased his own license under his work email. He said he cancelled it, but it doesn't appear so. So, if he cancelled this license and is now an editor on our account, will that resolve the issue?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I thought you meant they purchased the license on a personal email.

If they purchased the license on the work email, then the license will need to be removed from the work email account. If they have a license, then they can easily "save as new". With out a license, they cannot "own" Smartsheet items and as such would not be able to make copies of anything.

The sharing permission restriction will ensure that they are not able to share it to an outside account that has a license and then use that account to create the new copy.

10xViz.com