Template and Cross Sheet Reference

SML
SML ✭✭✭✭
edited 10/10/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I have 5 templates. Each time we have a new project, we select the appropriate template and save as new. The template gets updated frequently (task column), and also new rows are added. Is there a way to use cross reference formula to automatically update the new project smartsheet everytime the template is updated, and have the new row added? The other issue is that the new row will be added to a specific sequence. Could we somehow automate and sort the new project smartsheet so that the new row is placed in the correct order?

Best Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Not anything that would actually work. You COULD use cross sheet references to pull in the data, but any hierarchy would have to be manually adjusted, and any data that is manually entered will need manually adjusted as well.

For example... If you have 100 tasks and you update the template to make it 101, but that extra task is on row 15, any data that has been manually entered on the sheet from row 15 down will need to be adjusted accordingly.

Hierarchy also cannot be adjusted via formula, so that would also need to be a manual adjustment.

Either way you are going to have to revisit every single sheet and make manual adjustments.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @SML

There currently isn't a way to link a Template to it's created sheet after the sheet has already been generated. As @Paul Newcome mentioned, you could use the API to programatically make changes, but other than that, you'll need to make changes manually in the created sheets.

Please feel free to submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers