Allocating resources working on some sheets and not others

Options

My Proj Management team has told me that they think there is some sort of "glitch" or maybe a setting is not right on our end. They are assigning resources to some sheets with no problem and yet can't assign to other sheets. Has anyone run into this and what was the solution?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hey @KatK

Can you check to see that the Sheet they're working in has been properly connected with Resource Management through Project Settings?

Here are the steps:

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• KatK
    KatK ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I believe they are configured correctly. In understanding better what is or not happening... is it true that you can only assign at a top level? That would not make any sense right? You'd need to assign tasks etc.. below the parent, shall we say, to different team members.

Best

• Sarah Franklin
    Options

I am having the same problem. The project sheet is configured correctly, and tasks are assigned properly.

• Sarah Franklin
    Options

I found my problem. The source sheet was using a formula in the % Allocation column that was throwing an error. This error caused the Resource Management panel to be blank. Now that I have values in the % Allocation column, all is right as rain.

• KatK
    KatK ✭✭
    Options

Sarah, thank you for this answer.

I'm hoping and praying this works for the team. I have not found Smartsheet Helpdesk very helpful Not sure what others experience.

I'll see you posted

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hey @Sarah Franklin

Thank you for posting your solution! That's a great tip.

@KatK can you explain a bit more how your current sheet is set up and what you're seeing in the Panel?

Here are some standard troubleshooting steps I would go through when a sheet isn't syncing with the Resource Management panel:

• Ensure all 5 required columns are populated for the rows you want synced (Primary/Task Name, Start Date, End Date, Allocation %, Assigned To)
    • Make sure the contacts in the "Assigned to" field are listed as people within RM (either licensed users or managed resources), or are placeholders in RM, as well as members of your Smartsheet account
    • For indents & child rows, it's best practice to have a project-level row at the top of the sheet, then indent the tasks under the project.

You are correct that the Panel can sync with rows that are indented below a top-level. The recommendation is a top-level Parent that is the Project-level row, then child rows that are Task rows. If you have more hierarchy in your Smartsheet sheet than 2 levels, keep in mind that many Parent rows have uneditable content in a Project sheet. You may need to simplify your levels of indentation in order for all tasks to appear in the Panel.

Here's more information: Sync Resource Management assignments with Smartsheet

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now