Limit on workflows triggering other workflows (aka daisy chained autoamtions)

Options
Laurie Mason
Laurie Mason ✭✭✭✭
edited 10/06/23 in Formulas and Functions

I have a "Re-Release" process that is very long and complex. At one point in the process, a row goes through a series of automations that trigger each other. These automations copy the row to an archive sheet, move the same row to a "Re-Release" sheet, copy the ID# to an "Previous ID #" column, clear the data in over 60 columns, and then move it another sheet. I'm getting notices that "A workflow has become invalid" because "This workflow was triggered by at least 5 other workflows, which exceeds the maximum allowed". Any chance that the limit of daisy chained automations will be increased in the future? Alternatively, is there another solution??

Answers

• Hamza1
    Hamza1 Moderator
    Options

@Laurie Mason,

This error is usually caused by 5 or more Workflows triggering each other consecutively. Let's say you have 6 Change Value Workflows, and 6 Columns. If you have Workflow 1 change a Value in Column 1, and the Trigger for Workflow 2 is the Value from Column 1, and this trails on to where Workflow 6 is triggered by a Value in Column 5, you will be presented by the error noted above.

There currently isn’t a way to increase this limit for workflows. When you have a moment, please submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic.

If you're using multiple Change Cell values that are triggered after one another, you could consider formula alternatives.

To determine the root cause of the error message I believe that the better route is to open a ticket with the Support team through the customer support portal  so we can help troubleshoot the issue in a private channel and provide assistance. Please provide the following in your ticket:

• Recording of the Workflows, showing their Trigger, Condition(s) and Action(s).
    • Capture the Workflow ID’s of the Workflows included in the chain reaction (Manage Workflows > right click > Properties)

Cheers,

Hamza

• Laurie Mason
    Laurie Mason ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your response @Hamza1. I know the root cause of the error message and unfortunately, formulas won't work in this case. However, I appreciate your feedback. I will put in a request with the Product team!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!