Can you trigger an auto-number column to generate?

Options

Hello,

I want to have Smartsheet create project numbers following a specific format, but generate the number when I click a checkbox in another column. I cannot figure out how to make this work? Here's what I've done so far:

Column PN Auto is an auto-number column with prefix 'TD-' and numbers starting from 1700. I do not want to automatically assign a number to every row in my sheet. I would like to only generate a number once the checkbox in the 'Assign Project Number?' column is checked. When I create a workflow, it is not displaying the PN Auto column as an option (assuming workflows do not work with Auto-numbering formats). Is there another way I should do this? Maybe a formula?

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Pops1988 !

The system Auto (Number) column populates as soon as a new row is entered. There is no way to prevent this if the column is in place and the only way to modify is to reset the column (delete, save, add it again and modify the starting number).

If you want a more dynamic auto number column you would have to use a formula and set a condition for the checkbox to be checked for a number to appear. This can get tricky if you want the number to be ascending with respect only to the boxes that have been checked, but it can be possible depending on your exact workflow.

You could also consider a 2 Sheet solution where you have an initial Sheet and once you check the box the row is moved to a second Sheet where the PN Auto will populate.

Hope that helps!

👨🏼💻 Dan Palenchar | School of Sheets Solutions Consulting | Smartsheet Aligned Gold Partner

If this helped, help me & the SSC by accepting and reacting w/ 💡insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, and/or ❤️Awesome!

PS - If you have a follow up response tag me @SoS | Dan Palenchar so I get notified of your reply!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!