Looking for a simple way to track account balance to make sure it stays above 0

I'm tyring to find a template or example for a really simple sheet that tracks money in and out to make sure that we don't go below 0. A fixed sum gets added at the beginning of each month and then each project has a 'number of items' x 'item cost' amount of expenditure at a given date and that's it. I had a version in excel where I simply added a line every month for the in and a line when we paid out a project and a sum at the bottom. When starting a new project I could just check the sum and see if I needed to wait for next month or not. I could reproduce the same in smartsheet just to have it with the rest of our project tracking, but I was wondering if there was a better way to track it. I don't need to report on it as long as we don't go over.

Thanks!

Tags:

Answers

• Hey @EliseL

There are a number of ways to do this! 🙂 This will depend on your set-up, but what I would personally do is have one master tracking sheet. Then have a Report with Grouping that SUMs values in using the Summary values, filtering the Report by the Date column to check each month.

There are some templates in the Solution Center that may help you get started. For example, this Personal Budget Management template set.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now