Finish Date Static vs Duration Static

Options

Can the Finish date be static and have the start date and duration dynamic?

Example:

I have Task 1 and Task 2. Task 1 has a duration of 5 days and Task 2 has a duration of 10 days. Task 2 has a dependency on Task 1. But Task 2 has a due date that cannot change.

If Task 1 goes over the 5 days by one day, I update the Duration to 6 days. But now Task 2 is late by a day and I need to edit Task 2's Duration to 9 days to stay on time.

I would like to fix the due date for Task 2, and when Task 1 goes longer or shorter, Task 2's Duration auto updates.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @KSeaman

Thanks for posting helpful screen captures to explain your use-case! There currently isn't a way in Smartsheet to keep the End Date set on a specific date while also using Dependencies.

You would need to remove the Predecessor for the Buffer task to keep the End Date the same, regardless of what happens with the previous tasks (it would also keep the Start Date the same, though).

Otherwise, what you're doing (updating the duration of the following tasks to stay on time) is exactly what I would suggest.

If you would like to let the Product team know of your feedback or request, please feel free to submit your idea by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community.

Cheers,

Genevieve