An automation alert if a blank report is uploaded via Data Shuffle

Hi, there are occasions where a source excel file will not have a data within.

I'm trying to build an automation to alert myself if this happens:

I'm trying to force the notification and its not working. I'm guessing because there is no trigger because the rows themselves haven't changed.

Any suggestions please?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jack Parry

This automation is set by Date, so it should still run and check all the rows that exist in the sheet for if the Work Order Number is blank.

However keep in mind that if the row is entirely blank (as in it's a fresh row without any content at all) then it will be ignored in any workflow, as it essentially "doesn't exist". Does that make sense?

If you're looking to see if the entire sheet went blank, then what I would do is actually use a second sheet to check in. You could use a formula to simply COUNT a column that should always have text:

=COUNT({Column Reference})

Then set up this same alert on a time-based trigger looking to see if the formula has returned 0 or not. If it is 0, it could send you an alert with the sheet URL in the body of the message.

Let me know if that makes sense and will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jack Parry

This automation is set by Date, so it should still run and check all the rows that exist in the sheet for if the Work Order Number is blank.

However keep in mind that if the row is entirely blank (as in it's a fresh row without any content at all) then it will be ignored in any workflow, as it essentially "doesn't exist". Does that make sense?

If you're looking to see if the entire sheet went blank, then what I would do is actually use a second sheet to check in. You could use a formula to simply COUNT a column that should always have text:

=COUNT({Column Reference})

Then set up this same alert on a time-based trigger looking to see if the formula has returned 0 or not. If it is 0, it could send you an alert with the sheet URL in the body of the message.

Let me know if that makes sense and will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Jack Parry
    Jack Parry ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. Worked perfectly! Thank you :)