From a DataMesh, can I link data from my Target Sheet back to my Source Sheet?

Options

I know there is a way to "Overwrite Existing Data in Target Sheet(s)" but is there a way for the updates to flow in the opposite direction?

I want to send a "request an update" from my Target Sheet. I am sending this from my Target sheet and not my Source sheet because I want additional columns not on the Source Sheet. I want any updates made in the Target sheet to feedback to the Source Sheet. Are there DataMesh settings to make this happen?

Tags:

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Erin S

You can set up a separate datamesh to send information back to the Target. If you want to bounce the same data point back and avoid a circular reference situation, you'll have pick which sheet should take priority and then add some helper columns. In the helper columns you'll do formulas like IF this column is blank use the value from the other column...something along those lines. Really though, you should avoid that type of situation and keep each datapoint going 1 direction.

But to be clear, some columns can go one way and some can go the other way. I suggest column descriptions indicating the flow.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner