Only edit sheet via a report

Is there a way to allow users to edit a sheet via a report without giving them access to the sheet they are editing? In other words I want users to be able to change select things but I don't want them to be able to mess with everything in the sheet.

Answers

• Purnima Gore_PGPS
    Purnima Gore_PGPS ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Tony Christman

The best way is Dynamic View, but not everyone wants to pay for that.

the workaround I found is

1. Hide all the columns on the sheet, you need to keep them open so they can be added to.
    2. Lock the columns that you can show as one column has to be in view.
    3. Create a report that shows the selected fields
    4. Share the report.

The other option is to use the update request function which means that the recipient can only update the fields you show them.

Let me know if that works

@Purnima Gore_PGPS

• Thanks, I'm not familiar with Dynamic View so I'll look into that. Hiding all the columns isn't an option as there are a couple people who do need to be in that sheet on a regular basis editing things.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Tony Christman

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Purnima's excellent advice/answer.

Here are some other options.

• Premium App, WorkApps
    • I recently developed a (what I call), Dynamic View Light. It's quite advanced, but in short, it uses cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH and a specific structure and method, so it's only possible to show data that should be available.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.