Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Column ID visible in Column Settings

Options
JenniferTorres
JenniferTorres ✭✭✭✭

The column ID has been removed from the Column Settings. It is now accessible only through Bridge. I would like to request that it be added back to the Column Settings.

Tags:
11 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Options

@JenniferTorres I very much agree with this and I upvoted.

Just an FYI for you though it is possible to extract the column id in a roundabout way without using bridge. If you go to card view and group the cards by the column, you will see the column id in the url. The only caveat is that if your column is not a single select dropdown you can't view by that column, so you would have to change it temporarily. However, you can change it without saving, get the column id, and then refresh the sheet but don't save.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

@Samuel Mueller - thank you for sharing this!

I have to admit this is a sneaky little tip I've never thought of before... brilliant. 🙌

• JenniferTorres
    JenniferTorres ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Kevin P Scott
    Options

Currently, I can click File>Properties to get the Sheet ID.

I can also right click on a row and select properties to get the Row ID:

But it takes some API sleuthing to get a Column ID. It would be really great if I could right click on a column and get the Column ID.

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    edited 02/27/24
    Options

This is a much needed enhancement. I've mentioned this somewhere before, but you can access column ID if you navigate to card view, it's in the url.

• Frank Geraci
    Frank Geraci ✭✭
    Options

If the column isn't available in Card View, you can find the column ID by inspecting the network requests in your browser's developer tools. Here are the steps:

1. Open the developer tools (usually F12 or right-click > Inspect or View > Developer > Developer Tools).
    2. Go to the Network tab and filter for 'loadSheet'.
    3. Find the request titled 'home?formName=ajax&formAction=fa_loadSheet' and inspect its response.
    4. Search for 'jsdSchema.ajaxMegaBulkRecordInsert([jsdSchema.TABLE_INDEX_GRIDCOLUMNDEF'.
    5. This data contains the column title, description, column ID, and other information.

While more technical, this method lets you view all column IDs and other sheet metadata.