Sharing form link without providing edit or read-only access to underlying Smartsheet

Hello,

If I create a form that I want other departments to fill out when submitting an analysis request to my team, is there a way to make it so they can't see the underlying/source sheet? The sheet the form is tied to contains all of our project data and doesn't need to be visible to those outside our department.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Katie B48

When a form is captured, it usually doesn't send them to the underlying Smartsheet unless an automation was created (e.g. an auto-confirmation email for new form submissions).

If it is an automation issue, you can customize the message so that "message only" is selected, and not "links to sheet and all/specific fields". More info here.

If you want to create a way for people who submitted a form to view their responses (read-only access), you can achieve this by:

1. Creating a report (more info here), and then sharing that as "Viewer". If you want to include metrics and figures, you can even upload that report onto a dashboard (more info here).
    2. If you have Dynamic View (Smartsheet paid add-on), you can go one step further and creating restricted views for different stakeholders (depending on how you set it up, you can limit what different stakeholders can see or edit).

I reckon option 1 would do the job at this stage, but feel free to reach out!

Cheers,

Ric

Answers

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Katie B48

When a form is captured, it usually doesn't send them to the underlying Smartsheet unless an automation was created (e.g. an auto-confirmation email for new form submissions).

If it is an automation issue, you can customize the message so that "message only" is selected, and not "links to sheet and all/specific fields". More info here.

If you want to create a way for people who submitted a form to view their responses (read-only access), you can achieve this by:

1. Creating a report (more info here), and then sharing that as "Viewer". If you want to include metrics and figures, you can even upload that report onto a dashboard (more info here).
    2. If you have Dynamic View (Smartsheet paid add-on), you can go one step further and creating restricted views for different stakeholders (depending on how you set it up, you can limit what different stakeholders can see or edit).

I reckon option 1 would do the job at this stage, but feel free to reach out!

Cheers,

Ric

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭