Complex Smartsheet Formula Help - Duplicate Entry Searching

I'm working on a sheet that logs employee FTE changes across various grants. Over time, one employee might accumulate several changes across different grants.

The sheet columns are as follows: Employee Name, Grant, Name, Previous FTE, New FTE, Approval Status, and Record Status. If two or more records are referencing the same grant and employee, the most recent record should say "Newest Record" in the Record Status column and the older records should change from "Newest Record" to "Old Record". I will then use a report to filter all records with "Newest Record" so it displays current FTEs for each employee. Here is the formula I'm trying to use, but receiving an unparseable error.

=IF(AND([Approval Status]@row = "Approved", [Record Status]@row <> "Newest Record"), IF([Approval Status]@row = MAX(IF([Approval Status]:[Approval Status], [Employee:Employee] = @cell, [Grant Name:Grant Name] = @cell), "Newest Record", IFERROR(IF([Record Status]@row = "Newest Record", "Old Record"), "Old Record")), [Record Status]@row))

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try something like this:

=IF(AND([Approval Status]@row = "Approved", [Date Approved]@row = MAX(COLLECT([Date Approved]:[Date Approved], [Employee Name]:[Employee Name], @cell = [Employee Name]@row, Grant:Grant, @cell = Grant@row))), "Newest Record", "Old Record")

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!