I want a user to be able to update their report but not give them access to the master sheet

TeeM
TeeM ✭✭✭
edited 02/15/24 in Smartsheet Basics

We have a management report to which we send action items on a separate report to the respective team members. We don't want to give them access to the master sheet. However, they need to be able to update their report with their current progress and status.

Is there some way of doing this without giving them:

1) access to the master sheet

2) Viewing option only to the master sheet but have the ability to update their report

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @TeeM,

To achieve the goal of allowing team members to update their action items without giving them access to the master sheet, or even view-only access, you can use a combination of Smartsheet features such as Update Requests, Automated Workflows, and possibly Cell Linking or Report Sharing depending on your specific needs. Here’s how you can set this up:

1. Use Update Requests

Update Requests in Smartsheet allow you to request updates on specific rows from individuals without giving them access to the entire sheet. You can send these requests manually or set them up to go out automatically based on certain triggers.

Steps to implement:

• Identify the rows or specific cells for which updates are needed and select them.
    • Go to the Row Actions menu or use the toolbar to choose "Send Update Request."
    • Customize the update request by specifying which columns you want the recipients to update.
    • Schedule the update request, if needed, to be sent out on a regular basis.

2. Automated Workflows for Regular Updates

Use Smartsheet's automated workflows to send out update requests at regular intervals or based on specific triggers (e.g., a date is approaching, a status changes, etc.).

Steps to implement:

• Go to the Automation menu in your master sheet.
    • Select "Create a Workflow."
    • Choose the trigger that fits your needs (e.g., a specific time before a due date, changes in a particular column).
    • Set the action to "Send an Update Request" and select the rows and columns to be included.
    • Define the recipients, which would be the individual team members responsible for those action items.

3. Cell Linking (Optional)

If you want to consolidate updates from individual responses into a separate sheet (which can be a report or another master-like sheet), you can use cell linking. This allows you to have a live link between the individual updates and a consolidated sheet where you can monitor progress.

• Create a new sheet or use an existing report to gather updates.
    • Use the "Link to Cell" option to link the update cells from the individual responses back to this consolidated sheet.

4. Report Sharing for Overview (Optional)

Create a report that pulls specific data from the master sheet (such as status and progress updates) and share this report with the team members. This way, they can see the updates in a consolidated view without accessing the master sheet.

• Go to the "+" icon in the left navigation and select "Create Report."
    • Set up the report to include rows based on the criteria that match the action items and columns relevant to what team members should see.
    • Share the report with the team members, giving them view or edit permissions as needed.

By combining these features, you can maintain control over the master sheet while ensuring team members can easily provide updates on their tasks. This setup enhances collaboration and keeps everyone informed of the progress without compromising the integrity of the master sheet.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• TeeM
    TeeM ✭✭✭

Hi @Bassam Khalil

The last option is what we are trying to achieve but from what I can tell, we can't give editor permissions on the reports unless we give them access to the master sheet. This is the challenge am raising.

Using Update requests or automated workflows is not relevant. There are Gantt charts involved in the reports and using any of the methods you are suggesting would create a monster. Simply not practical.

Team members need the ability to update their reports without having access to the master sheet.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @TeeM,

Use Dynamic View Instead of Reports for Editing

Smartsheet's Dynamic View add-on is specifically designed to address this kind of situation. It allows you to create customized views of your master sheet data that you can share with others, giving them the ability to view and edit specific rows that are relevant to them, without seeing the entire sheet. Here’s how you can leverage Dynamic View for this purpose:

• Create a Dynamic View: Set up a Dynamic View tailored to the needs of your team members. You can specify exactly which columns they can see and which they can edit.
    • Share with Precision: Share the Dynamic View with your team members, granting them edit permissions on the data presented within the view. This way, they can make necessary updates without ever accessing the master sheet directly.

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• TeeM
    TeeM ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, this is not an option as we don't have this premium add-on.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @TeeM,

Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

PMP Certified

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @TeeM

I hope you're well and safe!

Another option.

• I recently developed a (what I call), Dynamic View Light. It's quite advanced, but in short, it uses cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH and a specific structure and method, so it's only possible to show data that should be available.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• TeeM
    TeeM ✭✭✭

Hello @Andrée Starå

Great to hear from you again.

I'm assuming this still involves an addon which is not an option for this client.

Would it work if I set up a separate task sheet for each team member that draws information from the master sheet (and any other sheet), and create reports from there?