Is it possible to include a formula in a hidden field in a form?

Options
DuaneSP
DuaneSP
edited 02/19/24 in Formulas and Functions

The reason for asking is we are creating a smartsheet with form for training candidates to register their names, which will then create a certificate using document generator.

In order to get the certificate PDFs to have a unique file name I have added a column called file name with the formula ="COSHH Training Certificate " + Name@row + " " + [Date of Training]@row

However I would like this to be automated when someone completes the form so we don't have to go into the smartsheet and manually add this forumula to each line to get the file name.

Best Answer

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @DuaneSP

To apply a formula to column level, you can apply a formula to single cell (which would be the first row) and right click to get the attached menu, from that menu you can select "convert to column formula". So that you don't have to sheet every single time, whenever a form is submitted. I hope that helps.

Answers

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @DuaneSP

To apply a formula to column level, you can apply a formula to single cell (which would be the first row) and right click to get the attached menu, from that menu you can select "convert to column formula". So that you don't have to sheet every single time, whenever a form is submitted. I hope that helps.

• DuaneSP
    Options

Thats perfect thanks, wasn't aware of that option!

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭
    edited 02/19/24
    Options

Hi @DuaneSP

You are welcome! Could you please let me know, the certificate you are creating using document generator is via mapping fillable PDF? And also, after the document has been generated, do you manually download each certificate to forward to respective individual or are you using any automation feature? This would be helpful, since I also working for almost similar project, where participants register for a study, and I have to send personalized certificates to each participant.

• DuaneSP
    Options

Hi @Mounika

Yes I created it using a fillable PDF form. I set up a Smartsheet form for the delegates to fill in with their name, email address, date of training etc.

I created an automation so that when a new line is added (ie Smartsheet form completed), it generates the certificate and saves it against the row as an attachment. I have then created another automation - if row has an attachment send email notification to the email address on that row. The email notification can be customised message etc but the PDF is just a link at the bottom of the email, not an attachment.

So within 5 mins of completing the Smartsheet form the user will have an email with a link to the certificate.

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @DuaneSP

My Smartsheet system admin has deactivated the automation permission settings. Is there any other way that I can consider?

• DuaneSP
    Options

Hi @Mounika

Sorry I'm not sure of a way round this.

• Mounika
    Mounika ✭✭✭
    Options

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!