Filtered Sheets in Developing Reports

Options
Mike Wilday
Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a report that is filtered by a particular folder within a shared workspace... everytime I remove items from that folder the report no longer watches the folder, and it turns into individual items within the folder... Is this common behavior?

Has anyone else experienced this behavior recently? I want the subfolder to continue to watch for new sheets to be added.

@Andrée Starå @Genevieve P. @Paul Newcome Have any of you experienced this issue before? I am leaning toward removing all the subfolders and just watch the workspace in general... but is it going to treat it the same?

The original goal was to only check items in this folder. As soon as I move an item from this folder and add it to another one, it keeps tracking the new item in its new location. UGH. It's not watching the folder specifically but the individual items within the folder, and it's not adding new ones. 😔 please help.

Tags:

Best Answers

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Mike Wilday

Smartsheet reports can follow a sheet or a workspace.

For example, if you select the workspace it will update the report any time a sheet is added or removed from the workspace. If you choose a folder, it will select the sheets within that folder as the items to be included in the report and will then follow the sheet anywhere it moves to. The easiest way to do this is to take the items in the folder and put them in their own workspace so that the report is always looking at the workspace level for the content.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Mike Wilday Unfortunately this is expected behavior. You can reference the entire workspace though and include a filter in the report to filter by Sheet Name.

Answers

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Mike Wilday

Smartsheet reports can follow a sheet or a workspace.

For example, if you select the workspace it will update the report any time a sheet is added or removed from the workspace. If you choose a folder, it will select the sheets within that folder as the items to be included in the report and will then follow the sheet anywhere it moves to. The easiest way to do this is to take the items in the folder and put them in their own workspace so that the report is always looking at the workspace level for the content.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Mike Wilday Unfortunately this is expected behavior. You can reference the entire workspace though and include a filter in the report to filter by Sheet Name.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ugh okay. That's what I ended up doing. I'll bug smartsheet about it. Thanks.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

The comments here are correct! 🙂 It's either individual Sheets or a Workspace as a whole, but folders will just select the items within the folder, not stay with the folder like it does with a Workspace.

I think you know what I'm about to say...

the best way to submit your feature request to the Product team is by creating an idea type of post when you have a minute: Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic

Thanks!

Genevieve